WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The American Hockey League announced today that two members of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, goaltender Casey DeSmith and forward Jake Guentzel, have been selected to the 2016-17 All-Rookie Team. The AHL All-Rookie Team was voted on by coaches, players and media in each of the league's 30 member cities.
DeSmith and Guentzel become the sixth and seventh Penguins ever named to the AHL's All-Rookie Team, joining Matt Murray (2014-15), Alex Goligoski (2007-08), John Curry (2007-08), Michel Ouellet (2003-04) and Toby Petersen (2000-01).
DeSmith rose to prominence last spring as Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's unlikely hero in the Calder Cup Playoffs, but is only in his first full AHL season this year. The Rochester, N.H. native has a 19-4-2 record, a .920 save percentage, and the league's fourth-best goals against average at 2.14. DeSmith posted the first regular season shutout of his career last weekend, making 26 saves on Apr. 1 against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.
Guentzel, who is currently on NHL recall with the Pittsburgh Penguins, recorded 21 goals and 21 assists for 42 points in 33 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season. Despite not playing an AHL game since Jan. 14, he led all AHL rookies in goals until Mar. 8. The first-year pro from Woodbury, Minn. also posted six different games of three points or more.
The 2016-17 AHL All-Rookie team is as follows:
- Goaltender - Casey DeSmith, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (25GP, 19-4-2, 2.14GAA, .920sv%, 1 SO)
- Defense - Devon Toews, Bridgeport Sound Tigers (71GP, 4G-37A, +5)
- Defense - Kyle Wood, Tucson Roadrunners (63GP, 13G-27A, 10 PPG)
- Forward - Jake Guentzel , Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (33GP, 26G-21A, +21, 5 PPG)
- Forward - Mark Jankowski, Stockton Heat (59GP, 26G-25A, +16, 7 PPG, 4 GWG)
- Forward - Daniel O'Regan, San Jose Barracuda (58GP, 21G-33A, +7, 9 PPG, 5 GWG)
Each player will receive a custom-designed crystal award in recognition of his selection to the All-Rookie Team.