The Pens are in Boston for the 2017 Discover NHL Thanksgiving Showdown against the Bruins.
MATCH: Penguins vs. Bruins
TIME: 1 p.m. EST
PLACE: TD Garden
RADIO: 105.9 FM, the X
1. Carter Rowney, who has missed the past 14 games with a broken hand, was activated from injured reserve ahead of Wednesday's 5-2 loss to Vancouver and took warmups. He will again be a game-time decision today.
2. A player to watch today will be Justin Schultz, as the defenseman was the Pens' leading scorer against the Bruins last year with six points (2G-4A). He got on the board in all three meetings against Boston.
3. Meanwhile, Conor Sheary, who is from Winchester, Mass., is looking to score his first goal at TD Garden - where he made his debut back on Dec. 16, 2015. "It's always good to go home," he said. "This one's always a little bit more special becase this is Thanksgiving and I think a few more people will be here than they normally would."
4. TD Garden has been a tough building for the Pens, as the Bruins have taken points in five of the last six games against Pittsburgh here in Boston (5-0-1). Overall, the Bruins are 8-1-2 in their last 11 games versus the Pens.
5. Today is the Pens' first day game of the season, while the Bruins are 0-2 in afternoon games thus far.
PIT - Evgeni Malkin (upper body), Carter Rowney (hand).
BOS - Adam McQuaid (broken right fibula), David Backes (colon surgery), Brad Marchand (IR), Anders Bjork (IR), Torey Krug (upper body)
* The Pens did not hold a morning skate due to the game's early start time. Head coach Mike Sullivan will speak to the media at 11 a.m. EST.