Oilers alumni and current Vice Chair of the Oilers Entertainment Group Kevin Lowe was announced on Thursday as an inductee to the Alberta Hockey Hall of Fame class of 2019.
The criteria for the Alberta Hockey Hall of Fame is as follows:
- Must have made a significant impact to hockey during their time as an Alberta resident, having resided in Alberta for at least five years
- Exceptional service or contribution to the game of hockey in Alberta or at a National or International level
- Must have achieved significant personal, team and or professional accomplishment in the game
- Must have made an impact in the game beyond a local or regional level
- Received significant other recognition (for example, been inducted into the Canadian Sport Hall of Fame, Hockey Hall of Fame, Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, won a National or International medal or championship, major individual award)
- As well, groups or teams being considered for nomination must have achieved a significant result at a National or International level or have impacted on a provincial level under exceptional circumstances
Lowe certainly fits the bill under most of the above categories as a six-time Stanley Cup champion, including five in Alberta with the Oilers. He was the first-ever draft pick of the Oilers after they joined the NHL in 1979, 21st overall, and scored the first goal in franchise history in the opening period of the team's first game on October 10, 1979 in Chicago.
In 19 seasons in the NHL, Lowe played 1,254 games in the regular season and 214 more in the playoffs. Fifteen of his 19 seasons were with the Oilers.
In 1990, Lowe became the only player in NHL history to win the King Clancy Memorial Trophy and NHL Man of the Year. Both awards are presented for leadership qualities and humanitarian contributions. Lowe has also been an honourary co-chair of the Christmas Bureau of Edmonton since 2005.
The Alberta Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Gala will be held on Sunday, July 21 at the Coast Hotel in Canmore. Tickets can be purchased through the Alberta Hockey Hall of Fame website.