RALEIGH, NC - The Carolina Hurricanes and the National Hockey League (NHL) today announced that the NHL® Centennial Fan Arena is coming to Raleigh, April 1-2. An interactive traveling fan experience, the NHL® Centennial Fan Arena is part of the NHL's Centennial festivities honoring a century's worth of extraordinary players, teams, remarkable plays and unforgettable moments.
The NHL® Centennial Fan Arena is free of charge and open to fans of all ages. It will be located on the South Plaza of PNC Arena, and take place in conjunction with the NC State University spring football game (1 p.m.) and the Hurricanes' home game against the Dallas Stars (7 p.m.). It will be open on Sunday, April 2 to the general public from 1-5 p.m.
The NHL® Centennial Fan Arena includes:
- MUSEUM TRUCK - The main attraction is a 53-foot museum truck with an innovative interior featuring more than 1,000 square feet of interactive digital displays, original video content, historical memorabilia, and unique photo moments.
- ENTERTAINMENT TRUCK - A second 53-foot trailer will host a giant video screen featuring team trivia and highlights.
- THE "RINK" - A pop-up ball hockey rink will give youth hockey players a chance to shine with fun and games.
- CLEAR THE ICE ZAMBONI® VR EXPERIENCE - This never-before-seen VR experience allows fans from across North America to compete against each other in a race to resurface the ice. Fans will take a seat in a mini-Zamboni® ice resurfacer, feel cool air on their skin and their seat rumble, as they are tasked with creating the perfect sheet of ice - in virtual reality. All races will be timed and shared on a leaderboard.
- STANLEY CUP® - The oldest and most revered trophy in all professional sports will make a special appearance.
- RSVP PROGRAM - Fans attending the NHL® Centennial Fan Arena can RSVP here in advance of the event. The RSVP program includes pre-registration for the free activities at the Fan Arena including the CLEAR THE ICE Zamboni® VR Experience and photos with the Stanley Cup®, and will provide event reminder notifications (dates, times, locations, events, special appearances and more).
- RECYCLE THE GAME EQUIPMENT DRIVE - The Carolina Hurricanes will host an equipment drive benefitting the Hurricanes Learn to Play program. This equipment drive is part of a league-wide commitment to environmental sustainability while supporting youth hockey, particularly in underserved communities. The first 200 donors will receive a shop.nhl.com discount card and all who donate will be entered to win a Hurricanes replica jersey signed by the 2016-17 team or a Hurricanes replica hockey stick signed by the 2016-17 team. Equipment needed (must be new or gently used): helmets, shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin pads, gloves, pants, skates, sticks and goalie-specific equipment.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Saturday, April 1
12 p.m. - 7 p.m. Museum Truck, Clear The Ice Zamboni® VR Experience, Stanley Cup®, The "Rink"
Sunday, April 2
12 p.m. - 5 p.m. Museum Truck, Clear The Ice Zamboni® VR Experience, Stanley Cup®, The "Rink"
The line for photos with the Stanley Cup will close one hour before the scheduled end time of the event.
NHL, the NHL Shield and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Centennial Season logo is a trademark of the National Hockey League. NHL and NHL team marks are the property of the NHL and its teams. All Rights Reserved.
ZAMBONI and the configuration of the Zamboni ® ice resurfacing machine are registered trademarks of Frank J. Zamboni & Co., Inc.