LOS ANGELES - The 2017 NHL All-Star Weekend will be capped off by today's 3-on-3 games at the Staples Center at 1:30 PM MT.
The afternoon will feature three games: two semi-final match-ups between the four divisions (Atlantic, Metropolitan, Central, Pacific) and a final.
"I personally love it," Johnny Gaudreau said of the format. "I love 3-on-3. I love the open space, the creativity ... making plays. It's a lot of fun. I think it gets a little bit competitive too. I liked it last year, I thought it was a great format."
Gaudreau leads all Flames skaters in 3-on-3 overtime goals over the past two years with four. That total ties him for third in the league, trailing just Jeff Carter (6) Jonathan Toews (5).
Gaudreau's Pacific teammate Brent Burns is also eagerly awaiting today's games, noting how much he enjoys playing alongside his Calgary Flames counterpart.
"He's just such a fun guy to be around," Burns said of Gaudreau. "He's an incredible hockey player. He's just so good. It's crazy to watch the highlights every night and see what he does with the puck ... how good he is in tight, laterally moving.
"I always get excited to play three-on-three with a guy like that. He's just so good. It's crazy to see how good he play in those tight spaces."
Details on today's games:
• The 2017 Honda NHL® All-Star Game will be a three-game tournament played in a 3-on-3 format with a prize pool of $1 million to be paid in its entirety to the tournament's winning team.
• The tournament will feature four teams, one team representing each NHL division: the Pacific, Central, Metropolitan and Atlantic.
• Each team will be made up of 11 players from each division: six forwards, three defencemen and two goaltenders.
• By winning the 2017 Coors Light NHL All-Star Skills Competition, the Atlantic Division earned the right to select both their semi-final opponent and when their semi-final game will be played; first or second on Sunday.
• Each game in the 2017 Honda NHL All-Star Tournament will be 20 minutes in length.
• Teams will change ends at the 10-minute mark of each game. Games that are tied after 20 minutes will be decided by a shootout.
• The winners of each semi-final game will play each other in the All-Star Tournament Final to determine the overall tournament champion.