Skip to Main Content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames


Ducks rally for victory at Scotiabank Saddledome

by TY PILSON @typilson /

Corey Perry scored 1:30 into overtime Monday night at the Scotiabank Saddledome as the Anaheim Ducks beat the Flames 5-4.

Calgary now trails their best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final series 3-0.

Sean Monahan, Kris Versteeg, Michael Stone and Sam Bennett scored for the homeside while Brian Elliott made 22 saves.

Shea Theodore scored twice while Nick Ritchie and Nate Thompson added singles for the Ducks.

Monahan lit the lamp 1:12 into the first period when he scored his third goal of the series to open the game's scoring.

With Nick Ritchie in the bin for interference, Johnny Gaudreau wired a shot on net that almost beat Gibson. Gaudreau gathered up the rebound below the right faceoff circle and feed a backhand to Troy Brouwer behind the net, who passed out front to Monahan in the slot and No. 23 one-timed it high, far-side.

The Flames made the Ducks pay again in the first period on another powerplay at the 9:18 mark after Hampus Lindholm was sent off for goalie interference.

TJ Brodie's point shot led to a scramble in front of Gibson, with Monahan missing a crack to notch his second goal of the night before the puck squirted out to Versteeg who smacked it home, leading to another deafening eruption from the raucous C of Red.

The Ducks got on the board with less than five minutes to play in the frame when Ritchie converted on a rebound off an Antoine Vermette shot to cut the lead in half.

On the first shot of the second period - some 4:26 into the stanza - Stone's slapshot from the point beat a screened Gibson to restore the Flames two-goal cushion.

Just before the midway mark of the second, it was another Flames powerplay, another goal, this time Mark Giordano took a pass from Mikael Backlund and wired a laser from just inside the blueline that deflected in off Bennett and spelled the end of the night for Gibson, who was replaced by Jonathan Bernier.

Theodore scored a long knuckleballer that beat Elliott with just 48 second left in the frame.

The shots favoured the Flames 24-14 after 40 minutes.

Thompson tipped home a point shot with 8:46 left in the third period with what appeared to be a high stick but after a lengthy review, the goal stood.

With less than five minutes left, Theodore scored his second of the night to tie the game up.

UP NEXT: Game 4 goes at the Scotiabank Saddledome Wednesday (8 p.m., CBC, SN960 The Fan) 

View More