The Blackhawks fell to the Ducks 6-3 on Sunday at the Honda Center. Nick Schmaltz scored two goals and Tomas Jurco added a marker in the loss. Anton Forsberg made 17 saves and J-F Berube made eight saves in relief.
Chicago holds a 35-39-3-9 mark all-time against Colorado, including a 20-16-1-6 record at home. The Blackhawks fell to the Avalanche 6-3 in the first contest of the season on Oct. 28. Schmaltz and Artem Anisimov both notched a goal in the loss. Jonathan Toews leads the team with 38 points (19G, 19A) in 38 career games against Colorado. Berube has a 1-0-0 record against the Avalanche in his career.
Schmaltz netted two goals in the third period on Sunday for his third multi-goal game of the year. He joins Patrick Kane and Alex DeBrincat as the only Blackhawks skaters to register three multi-goal games this season.
TOMAS THE TANK ENGINE
Jurco scored his second goal of the season against the Ducks. In 15 games this year, the Kosice, Slovakia, native has recorded four points (2G, 2A), including three points (2G, 1A) in his last five games. His four shots on goal against Anaheim were a season high.
- Schmaltz now has five points (4G, 1A) in his last five games. He ranks second for the Blackhawks with 45 points (20G, 25A) on the season.
- Vinnie Hinostroza added two assists on Sunday. He has eight points (1G, 7A) in his last nine games and now has 23 points (7G, 16A) this season.
- Duncan Keith tallied an assist for the second time in three games and led the team with 23:03 of ice time. His 28 points (1G, 27A) are the most among Chicago blue liners this season.
- Connor Murphy picked up an assist in the matchup against Anaheim. He now has 10 points (1G, 9A) on the year.
- Alex DeBrincat registered his 19th assist of the season. His 41 points (22G, 19A) share fifth among NHL rookies and rank fourth for the Blackhawks this year.
- Kane paced the team and matched a season high with seven shots on goal. He now has three games with at least seven shots this season.
- Matthew Highmore and Carl Dahlstrom posted season highs with three shots on goal each.
- Toews led the team with 13 wins at the faceoff dot. His 787 faceoff victories rank fourth in the league this season.
THREE OPPONENTS TO WATCH:
C Nathan Mackinnon: MacKinnon extended his point streak (6G, 6A) to five games with an assist on Sunday against Nashville. He matched a career high with five points (2G, 3A) on March 2, becoming the second player in the league this season with multiple five-point outings (Barzal - NYI). He shares fifth in the league with 77 points (31G, 46A) on the year.
RW Mikko Rantanen: The Nousiainen, Finland, native has registered 14 points (5G, 9A) over his last 12 contests. His 64 points (22G, 42A) this season are the most in his career and rank second among Colorado skaters. In the last game against the Blackhawks, Rantanen notched three points (2G, 1A).
D Tyson Barrie: The 26-year-old logged a team-high 28:03 of TOI in the loss to Nashville. He added an assist to give him 42 points (8G, 34A) on the season, the most among Avalanche defensemen. He has recorded more than 22:00 of TOI in his last nine games.