The New York Islanders extended their franchise-best point streak to 17 games, but fell 2-1 in overtime to the San Jose Sharks on Saturday night. The OT loss was a small setback for Islanders, who are 15-0-2 in their last 17 games, but nothing to panic over, as the Isles haven't had a regulation loss since Oct. 11.
"It is what it is, you're not going to win every game, but we got a point out of it and now we move onto Anaheim," Casey Cizikas said on Saturday.
MORNING SKATE UPDATES:
- Thomas Greiss was the first goalie off the ice at morning skate, suggesting he'll start in goal for the Islanders. Greiss has won eight straight starts and is 9-1-0 with a 2.34 GAA and a .934 SV%.
- Josh Bailey took line rushes at center between Leo Komarov and Michael Dal Colle during morning skate, suggesting the winger could play down the middle on Monday, where he started his career. That said, Head Coach Barry Trotz hasn't fully committed to a lineup, saying he'll make a final decision when he sees the Ducks' roster.
"I see it as tonight and then we'll see after that," Trotz said of Bailey playing center. "He's done it in short increments. His hockey IQ and his hands are really good. The great thing about Josh right now, he understands where we're trying to get to and trying to find all the right pieces and doing it on the fly a little bit. He's all-in. He just wants to win and that's why he's wearing an A. He's doing what's best for the team all the time."
- The Isles are16-3-2, which accounts for the most wins and points the Isles have ever had through 21 games.
- Casey Cizikas scored the Isles sole goal on Saturday, just 27 seconds after the Sharks were first to strike. Semyon Varlamov made 24 saves.
- Cizikas scored his fourth goal of the season on Saturday. Through 16 games this season, Cizikas has seven points (4G, 3A).
- Adam Pelech assisted on Cizikas' marker. Pelech has six points (1G, 5A) through 21 games this season.
- Ryan Pulock also assisted on Cizikas goal. Pulock is riding a three-game point streak with one goal and two assists in that span. Through 21 games this season, Pulock has 10 points (3G, 7A), second-most among Islanders defensemen.
- Varlamov improved his record to 7-2-2. Varlamov has a goals against average of 2.63 and a save percentage of .913.
- Thomas Greiss, who has split the pipes with Varlamov, has a record of 9-1-0, a save percentage of .934, and a goals against average of 2.07. Greiss is the expected starter, as the Islanders have alternated goalies every game to start the season.
- The Islanders are first team since the 2006-07 Sharks to alternate starting goalies for each of the first 21 games of the season.
- Mathew Barzal leads the Isles in goals (9) and points (20) and is tied for third in the NHL with his plus-14 rating.
- The Isles power play went 0-for-6 against the Sharks' league-leading penalty kill on Friday. The Isles power play is ranked 13th in the NHL with a conversion rate of 20.0. The Isles have been given the fewest power play opportunities at 50 this season, but have earned 13 in their last two games.
- The Islanders required extra time for the fourth-straight game. The Isles have won three-of-the-four games that required overtime or a shootout.
- The 2-1 decision to San Jose was the seventh straight one-goal game (5-0-2) for the Isles.
- The overtime loss snapped the Isles' five-game winning streak and their six-game road winning streak.
- Anaheim wrapped-up a four-game road trip with a 6-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lighting on Saturday night. Derek Grant scored a first-period shorthanded goal and Richard Rakell also scored. Ryan Miller made 21 saves.
- Rakell is riding a five-game point streak with six points (3G, 3A) in that span. The 26-year-old Swede has points in eight of his last 10 games. Through 24 games this season, Rakell has 17 points (8G, 9A). Rakell is tied for second in the Ducks leaderboard for points and goals and is tied for first in assists.
- Ryan Getzlaf assisted on Rakell's goal and is riding a four-game point streak with five points (1G, 4A) in the span. Getzlaf has points in five of his last six games. This season, Getzlaf has 17 points (8G, 9A) through 24 games.
- Cam Fowler also assisted on Rakell's goal. Fowler has had recorded an assist in back-to-back games. This season, Fowler 11 points (4G, 7A) through 24 games this season.
- Miller has a record of 3-1-2, a goals against average of 3.14 and a save percentage of .899.
- John Gibson has been the Ducks primary goaltender. Gibson has a record of 7-10-1, a goals against average of 3.02 and a save percentage of .908.
- The Ducks are tied for the most shorthanded goals with five this season.
- The Ducks power play is ranked 30th in the NHL at 11.1%.
The Isles split their series with the Ducks 1-1 last season. The Ducks claimed the first meeting on Oct. 17 with a 4-1 victory at Honda Center. Casey Cizikas scored the Isles sole goal of the game in the third period. Thomas Greiss made 21 saves for the Isles.
In the second meeting at NYCB Live, the Isles blanked the Ducks 3-0 on Jan. 20. Cal Clutterbuck scored two first period goals, including one on the power play. Robin Lehner made 19 saves for the shutout.
The Islanders are 6-3-1 in their last 10 game against the Ducks, and have lost their last two visits to the Pond.