The Chinatown Street Festival (CSF) is returning on Saturday August 18th to Calgary Chinatown and joining the team this year are the Calgary Flames. Signing a deal to become the team's 'Gold' Title Sponsor, the Calgary Flames will move into the 1st Street SE position of the Festival and bring the fans to their feet in the 'Family Fun Zone'.
With an inflatable street hockey rink, the bench of current and alumni Flames players, 'Harvey the Hound' mascot, the Ice Team, and plenty of memorabilia for the fans, the Chinatown Street Festival promises to be a great time for Flames fans (and hockey players) of all ages. The Flames are inviting their fans to play street hockey, take photos and get autographs, and more.
Following the footsteps of 16 successful CSF events since 2001, the Chinatown District Business Improvement Area (CDBIA) is taking over the reins to bring a fresh Street Festival team to Chinatown. With a new team of strong sponsors and community partners, the Chinatown Street Festival promises to be an exciting day of fun for all Calgarians and Flames fans.
Joining the team will be 24 or more cultural tents of Chinese foods delights, merchant goods, and cultural exhibits plus on-stage performances to entertain the crowds of over 35,000 for the day.
Come join the Chinatown Street Festival on Saturday August 18 starting at 10am through till 7pm.
- Chinatown Street Festival started in 2001, the year following the opening of the Centre Street Bridge after renovations.
- The last and 16th Chinatown Street Festival was held in 2016 by the Calgary Chinese Merchants Association (CCMA) with over 35,000 visitors each year.
- There was no Street Festival in 2017 as all Chinatown energies and resources were applied to celebrate Canada 150.
- the Street Festival will be held on Saturday August 18 from 10 am to 7 pm in Chinatown (3rd Avenue SE, 1st Street SE, and Grand Cathay Parking Lot).
- Chinatown Street Festival is a combination of cultural food dining, cultural merchandises, cultural arts, cultural stage performances and buskers on streets and community family fun.
- Calgary Flames will be playing 2 pre-season games in China in September - Shenzhen and Beijing; the Flames are connecting with Calgary's Chinese community ahead of this trip to better learn and understand culture, language and heritage.
- "The Calgary Flames will certainly be a draw to the Chinatown Street Festival and we expect this will assure us of great crowds, exciting times, and fun activities - Rain or Shine!", say Terry Wong, CSF Organizer and CDBIA Executive Director.
- "We are excited to partner with the Chinatown District BIA this summer for the Chinatown Street Festival," said Calgary Sports & Entertainment Corporation, VP of Sports Property Sales & Marketing, Gordon Norrie. "The Festival has always been a fun event for Calgarians and we hope to add to the excitement, as well as creating a greater connection with the Calgary Chinese community."
- "The Chinatown community has been a strong fan of the Calgary Flames since their first arrival in 1980, 38 years ago, and are proud of their team. We're very excited to have the Flames start their journey to China in Calgary's Chinatown.", says the CDBIA Chair, Grace Su. "In addition to the Flames, our visitors will enjoy our deep and rich culture and especially our merchant stores and fine dining restaurants."
- Established by Calgary City Council in 2015, the Chinatown District Business Improvement Area is a ratepayer based organization operating as a nonprofit to:
- Revitalize Chinatown business and investment prospects;
- Keep Chinatown clean and safe
- Liaise with The City for quality and responsive services
- Preserve and promote Chinatown's cultural history and heritage
- Enhance the consumer and visitor experience
- Advocate for the future development of Chinatown's Vision
Calgary Chinatown is an iconic and cultural place that prides itself for its heritage, open space, Asian streetscape and architecture. Chinatown is a walkable, accessible and livable community, a thriving authentic small business district, an intergenerational social and community hub, and a most visited local and tourist destination.
For more information on the 17th Annual (2018) Chinatown Street Festival, please go to www.visitcalgarychinatown.com, call 403.668.9798 or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.