RANGERS vs. AVALANCHE, 7:30 p.m.
Madison Square Garden
NBCSN, 1050 AM
The Rangers play their 42nd game of the 2019-20 season tonight, January 7, against the Colorado Avalanche at Madison Square Garden. Beginning with tonight's game, the Blueshirts will play six of their next eight games, as well as 10 of their next 13 games, at MSG.
RANGERS VS. AVALANCHE
- All-Time*: 40-35-7-6 (23-14-4-3 at home; 17-21-3-3 on the road) *Note: All-Time record includes games against the Quebec Nordiques from 1979-80 - 1994-95
- 2019-20: Tonight's game is the first of two meetings between the Rangers and Avalanche, and the only meeting between the two teams at MSG. After tonight's game, the Rangers and Avalanche will face each other on the following date: Mar. 11 (at Colorado).
- 2018-19: The Rangers posted a 1-1-0 record (1-0-0 at home; 0-1-0 on the road).
- The Rangers have earned at least one point in eight of their last 12 games against Colorado (6-4-2 record).
- Five of the last 11 games between the Rangers and Avalanche have been decided by one goal.
- Ryan Graves was selected by the Rangers in the fourth round (110th overall) of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
- David Quinn's first coaching position in the NHL was as an Assistant Coach with the Avalanche in 2012-13. His first coaching position in professional hockey was Head Coach of Colorado's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Lake Erie Monsters, for three seasons (2009-10 - 2011-12).avid Oliver held several roles in the Avalanche's organization for 11 seasons (2007-08 - 2017-18) before joining the Rangers as an Assistant Coach prior to the start of the 2018-19 season. He served as Colorado's Director of Player Development, General Manager of the Lake Erie Monsters, Colorado's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, an Assistant Coach with Lake Erie, and the Director of Hockey Operations with Lake Erie.
- Chris Drury played four seasons with Colorado (1998-99 - 2001-02) and helped the Avalanche win the Stanley Cup in 2000-01.
- Brendan Lemieux's father, Claude Lemieux, played parts of five seasons with the Avalanche (1995-96 - 1999-00) and helped Colorado win the Stanley Cup in 1995-96.
- Colin Wilson's father, Carey Wilson, played parts of two seasons with the Rangers (1988-89 - 1989-90). Colin was born when his father was a member of the Rangers, and he is a native of Greenwich, Connecticut.
INDIVIDUAL CAREER STATISTICS VS. AVALANCHE
- Artemi Panarin - 13 GP, 5-8-13 - Panarin has recorded a point in 10 of his 13 career games against Colorado.
- Jacob Trouba - 25 GP, 4-9-13 - Trouba's 25 games against the Avalanche are the most he has played against one opponent in his NHL career. In addition, his four goals and 13 points are tied for the most he has recorded against one opponent in his NHL career.
- Ryan Strome - 12 GP, 5-4-9 - Strome has tallied nine points (five goals, four assists) in his last 10 games against Colorado.
- Chris Kreider - 10 GP, 4-0-4 - Kreider has registered four goals/points in his last five games against the Avalanche.
The Rangers have registered at least three goals in four of the last five games, as well as five goals in three of the last five games and in four of the last seven games. In addition, the Blueshirts have tallied three or more goals in 21 of the last 29 games and in 26 of 41 games this season. The Rangers rank 11th in the NHL in goals per game this season (3.24).
SHOOT TO SCORE
The Rangers have posted a 10.9% shooting percentage in 2019-20, which is the fourth-best in the NHL (Colorado - 11.3%; Washington - 11.1%; Tampa Bay - 11.0%). The Blueshirts have registered a 10.0% shooting percentage or better in 23 of 41 games this season.
The Blueshirts are one of 10 NHL teams that have at least eight players who have tallied 20 or more points in 2019-20.
HOME SWEET HOME
New York has earned a win in each of its last two home games and has outscored its opponents, 10-4, in the two contests. The Rangers have also earned at least one point in 12 of 20 games at MSG in 2019-20 (10-8-2 record).
The Blueshirts are the only NHL team that has had eight players 21 years old or younger appear in at least one game in 2019-20.
Rangers defensemen have tallied 113 points (30 goals, 83 assists) in 2019-20; Rangers defensemen have recorded more goals and points than defensemen from any other team this season. Blueshirts defensemen have also notched 22.6% of the team's goals, 36.4% of the team's assists, and 31.3% of the team's points in 2019-20, and Rangers defensemen have registered a higher percentage of the team's points than defensemen from any other team this season.
FROM RUSSIA WITH GLOVE
Igor Shesterkin is expected to make his NHL/Rangers debut tonight. He will become the first goaltender who was born in Russia to play in a game for the Rangers in franchise history (Note: Alexandar Georgiev was the first goaltender of Russian nationality to appear in a game for the Rangers). Shesterkin has appeared in 23 AHL games with the Wolf Pack this season, posting a 15-4-3 record, along with a 1.93 GAA, a .932 SV%, and 3 SO. He has been selected to play in the 2020 AHL All-Star Classic, as he leads the AHL in GAA, and ranks second in wins and SV% this season.
STATE OF THE ART-EMI
Artemi Panarin was named the NHL's Third Star for the month of December, and he was also selected to represent the Rangers at the 2020 NHL All-Star Game. He has been selected to play in the NHL All-Star Game for the first time in his career, and he is the first Russian who has been selected to represent the Rangers in the NHL All-Star Game in franchise history. Panarin has tallied at least three points in three of the last five games (two goals, eight assists) and has posted a three-assist game in two of the last four contests. He is tied for the NHL lead in even strength assists (25) and even strength points (41), and is tied for seventh in the NHL in points (55) this season.
Ryan Strome has tallied a goal/point in three of the last five games (four goals, three assists), and he has recorded six points (three goals, three assists) in the last four games. Strome is tied for 22nd in the NHL in assists (26) and is tied for ninth in the NHL in primary assists (19) in 2019-20. He also ranks 10th among NHL centers in assists, ranks fourth among NHL centers in primary assists (trailing only Leon Draisaitl, Connor McDavid, and Nathan MacKinnon), and is tied for 14th among NHL centers in points (37) this season.
Mika Zibanejad has tallied a goal/point in three of the last five games (four goals, one assist), and he has recorded a point in eight of the last 11 games (nine goals, five assists). He has registered 20 points (12 goals, eight assists) in 19 games since returning to the Rangers' lineup on Nov. 27, and he is tied for second in the NHL in goals over the span.
WHAT THE FOX SAYS
Adam Fox has posted a multi-assist/point game in two of the last three games (five assists), and he established single-game career- highs with three assists and three points on Jan. 2 at Calgary. Fox became the first Rangers defenseman 21 years old or younger to record three assists in a game since Brian Leetch on Mar. 2, 1990 vs. NY Islanders. He also became the first Rangers rookie defenseman to post a multi-assist game in two consecutive games since Sergei Zubov on Feb. 24, 1993 at Vancouver and Feb. 26, 1993 at Calgary.
Kaapo Kakko has recorded 16 career NHL points, which is tied for the most points by an 18-year-old in Rangers history (tied with Manny Malhotra). He leads all 18-year-olds in the NHL in goals (seven) and is tied for first among 18-year-olds in the NHL in points (16) this season.
Jacob Trouba has logged at least 24:00 of ice time in each of the last three games, and he has registered 12 shots on goal over the last two games. He is the only NHL player who has registered at least 100 shots on goal, 100 hits, and 70 blocked shots this season.
The Rangers have either outscored their opponent on special teams or tied their opponent in special teams scoring in 26 of 41 games this season and have earned at least one point in 19 of those 26 games (16-7-3 record).