Skip to Main Content

Marlies play after AHL forfeit following assistant's seizure

Former NHL defenseman Davison released from hospital, will be on medical leave

by @NHLdotcom

The Toronto Marlies returned to play Saturday, one day after forfeiting an American Hockey League game against the Texas Stars after Marlies assistant Rob Davison had a prolonged grand mal seizure, witnessed by players and staff, in the locker room prior to face-off.

Davison was hospitalized overnight for treatment and observation before being discharged after his condition stabilized. The Marlies said he would return to Toronto on Saturday and would be away from the team indefinitely on medical leave.

The incident occurred at HEB Center in Cedar Park, Texas. Per AHL Rule 66.1, Texas was awarded a 1-0 win.

"Prior to our game against the Texas Stars last night, I experienced a seizure in the locker room at the HEB Center," said Davison, 39, who played 219 NHL games as a defenseman from 2002-10. "Unfortunately, the location and timing of the incident created understandable concern and the eventual decision to forfeit the game.

"I was released from the hospital this morning and am returning home to Toronto for further evaluation. I want to express my deep appreciation and thanks to the Toronto Marlies medical staff, the Texas Stars staff, our Marlies coaches, players and the Toronto Maple Leafs organization, specifically (Marlies general manager) Laurence Gilman and (Maple Leafs GM) Kyle Dubas, for their unwavering support and care. ... I very much look forward to rejoining the team soon."

Toronto lost to Texas 5-3 on Saturday and will play at San Antonio on Sunday.

Davison played five seasons for the San Jose Sharks, followed by one season each with the New York Islanders and Vancouver Canucks, before playing his final NHL game with the New Jersey Devils. He had 18 points (three goals, 15 assists) and 321 penalty minutes in the NHL. He has been a Marlies assistant since 2017-18.

View More