Skip to main content
news

Ducks coach Randy Carlyle gets contract extension

Signs through 2018-19 with option for additional season

by Lisa Dillman @reallisa / NHL.com Staff Writer

Randy Carlyle, who coached the Anaheim Ducks to the Western Conference Final this season, on Friday signed a one-year contract extension through the 2018-19 NHL season, with an option for 2019-20.

"I knew what the expectations were … all those things," Carlyle said Friday from Sudbury, Ontario. "It was basically up to us to accomplish a few things. There was some strategic points along the way that had to be hit, and that's what we were looking at, to build a championship."

Anaheim general manager Bob Murray said extending Carlyle's contract was "an easy decision for us." The 61-year-old returned to coach the Ducks this season and they won the Pacific Division at 46-23-13.

"We made great strides this past season and clearly Randy was at the center of that," Murray said in a statement. "He's committed to this organization and to winning another Stanley Cup."

Carlyle coached the Ducks to the Stanley Cup championship in 2007, his second season. He has the most coaching wins in their history (319-205-74).

Assistants Trent Yawney and Rich Preston will return next season, and Carlyle confirmed that goaltending coach Sudarshan Maharaj will be back. The Ducks announced Thursday that they parted with assistant coach Paul MacLean.

Carlyle declined to get into specifics about potential replacements for MacLean.

"The No. 1 thing is we have to find somebody that's going to be a guy that -- as all of have to do -- is we have to relate to our players," Carlyle said. "It's not that Paul MacLean did not do that. That would be an incorrect statement.

"But he's at a juncture in his career that he's looking at different things. Going forward, he wants to be a head coach in the NHL somewhere along the line.

"He's a personal friend of mine. I played with him. Again, all organizations evolve and usually there's a lot of things that take place."

The Ducks, who lost the conference final to the Nashville Predators in six games, are likely to start next season without defensemen Hampus Lindholm and Sami Vatanen, who each had surgery Tuesday to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder.

"It won't be any different than what we had last year because we were minus some personnel," Carlyle said. "Understand we did that this year and all of a sudden we had four or five young players that were transitioning into our lineup that made a positive impact at the end of the year. I'm not saying that's an ideal situation, but that's what you have to do."

View More