FOUR-GOAL FIRST PERIOD HELPS SENATORS TAKE 2-1 SERIES LEAD
The Ottawa Senators scored four goals in the first period, including three in a span of 2:18, en route to a 5-1 win in against the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Final. Ottawa improved to 5-2 at Canadian Tire Centre during the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs, including four consecutive victories.
* The Senators established a franchise playoff record for fastest three goals, eclipsing the previous mark of 4:00 set in Game 1 of the 2002 Eastern Conference Semifinals at the Toronto Maple Leafs. The NHL record for fastest three goals by one team in the postseason is 23 seconds, set by the Maple Leafs in Game 2 of the 1979 Preliminary Round against the Atlanta Flames.
* Forward Mike Hoffman (1-1-2) opened the scoring 48 seconds into the game. Hoffman scored the third-fastest goal to begin a playoff game in Senators history, behind forward Peter Regin, who scored in 18 seconds against the Penguins in Game 2 of the 2010 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals, and center Mike Fisher, who scored 28 seconds into Game 4 of the 2003 Eastern Conference Quarterfinals at the New York Islanders, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
* Defenseman Erik Karlsson had an assist and leads NHL defensemen with 14 points (two goals, 12 assists) in 15 playoff games. His 12 assists are three shy of the Senators record for most in a playoff year, set by Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza in 20 games in 2007.
* Goaltender Craig Anderson made 25 saves to improve to 10-5 with a 2.20 goals-against average, .923 save percentage and one shutout in the postseason. Anderson got his 20th career playoff win with the Senators, one shy of Patrick Lalime (21) for the most in franchise history.
* When teams are tied 1-1 in a best-of-7 series in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the winner of Game 3 holds an all-time series record of 205-99, including a 3-2 mark this postseason.
Video: Sens use strong 1st to down Pens in Game 3, 5-1
Home Team in Caps
OTTAWA 5, Pittsburgh 1 - OTT leads 2-1
Senators defenseman Marc Methot (1-1-2) scored his second goal in 14 playoff games. He did not have a goal in his 68 regular-season games. … Penguins captain Sidney Crosby scored and is tied for fourth among all skaters with 15 points (five goals, 10 assists) in 14 playoff games. Crosby has 34 points (15 goals, 19 assists) against the Senators in the playoffs, his most against any NHL opponent. … The NHL Centennial Fan Arena will visit KeyBank Center in Buffalo during the NHL Scouting Combine presented by Adidas. … NHL LiveWire: Click here to listen to the sights and sounds from Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Final. … NHL Network announced that it has secured the exclusive rights to televise the IIHF World Championship in the United States from 2018 through 2020. … Scotiabank and the NHL announced a new multi-year agreement, continuing a decade-long partnership that began in 2007.
SNEAK PEEK AT THURSDAY'S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Anaheim @ Nashville, NSH leads 2-1, 8 p.m. ET, CBC, TVA Sports, NBCSN