BACKES (AGAIN) PLAYS OVERTIME HERO AS BLUES EVEN SERIES
The Dallas Stars erased a 3-1 deficit in the third period, but David Backes (1-1-2) scored at 10:58 of overtime to help the St. Louis Blues even their Western Conference Second Round series at 1-1.
* Backes, who celebrated his 32nd birthday, scored his second overtime goal of the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs (also Game 1 of the first round against the Chicago Blackhawks). He became the second player in Blues history to score multiple overtime goals in one postseason, joining Pierre Turgeon (2 in 1999).
* The Blues improved to 11-6 in 17 all-time overtime playoff games against the Stars/North Stars, including 3-4 on the road.
Video: STL@DAL, Gm2: Backes buries OT PPG to even series
Home Team in Caps
St. Louis 4, DALLAS 3 (OT) - series tied 1-1
SAN JOSE 3, Nashville 2 - SJS leads 2-0
PAVELSKI, SHARKS TAKE 2-0 SERIES LEAD OVER PREDATORS
The Nashville Predators tied the game midway through the third period, but Joe Pavelski (1-2-3) scored the tiebreaking goal with 2:40 remaining in regulation to power the San Jose Sharks to a 2-0 series lead.
* Pavelski shares first place in the NHL with six goals during the playoffs. He also has six career three-point games in the postseason (all with San Jose), the most in Sharks playoff history.
* The Sharks improved to 6-0 in six all-time home playoff games against the Predators.
DID YOU KNOW?
Per Elias, teams that take a 2-0 lead in a best-of-seven Stanley Cup Playoffs series hold an all-time series record of 303-48 (86.3%).
DUPUIS, JAGR AND ZUCCARELLO VOTED MASTERTON TROPHY FINALISTS
The NHL announced that forwards Pascal Dupuis of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Jaromir Jagr of the Florida Panthers and Mats Zuccarello of the New York Rangers are the three finalists for the 2015-16 Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, which is awarded "to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey."
Click here for more information.
The NHL will reveal the three finalists for the Calder Trophy prior to tonight's game.
MILESTONES & BENCHMARKS
* Blues defenseman Joel Edmundson and Stars forward Mattias Janmark each scored their first career playoff goal.
Stars captain Jamie Benn (1-1-2) earned at least one point for the 13th time in 15 career playoff games (9-8-17). He leads the League with 12 points (five goals, seven assists) in the postseason (8 GP) . . . Blues goaltender Brian Elliott (31 SV) picked up his 10th win in his past 12 road games since Feb. 2 . . . Sharks goaltender Martin Jones made a playoff career-high 37 saves to improve to 6-1 this postseason . . . Stars forward Cody Eakin established a playoff career high with three assists/points . . . The Department of Player Safety suspended Washington Capitals defenseman Brooks Orpik for three games for interference against Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Olli Maatta . . . The Stanley Cup and Hockey Hall of Fame member Lanny McDonald visited the Canadian territory of Nunavut as part of an initiative organized by the NHL, Scotiabank, Canadian Tire, Project North and First Air.
SNEAK PEEK AT MONDAY'S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Washington @ Pittsburgh, series tied 1-1, 8:00 p.m., CBC, NBCSN, TVAS