In our previous update, our draft picks were continuing to find success throughout their respective seasons, including Brandon Coe being named OHL player of the week and Benjamin Gaudreau earning his first shutout.
In this edition of Next Wave check out what our prospects have been up to and how they've been making strides in recent weeks.
Let's take a dive into this week's update of our Next Wave report, presented by Kaiser Permanente.
Gannon Laroque recorded six points (3g, 3a) in four games from Dec. 1 through Dec. 10, including the game-winning overtime goal on Dec. 3 and an assist on the game-winning goal on Dec. 1. He leads all team defensemen and ranks second among club skaters in points (18).
Barracuda forward Joachim Blichfeld had two assists against the Canucks on Dec. 12, marking his fifth multi-point game this season. Blichfeld ranks second on the team in power-play goals (four) and is tied third-overall in the league. The Barracuda is currently ranked sixth in the AHL in power play percentage (21.4%), and at home, the team possess the AHL's top power play percentage, going 13 for 39 (33.3%) in nine games played.
Chrona Says No
Goaltender Magnus Chrona recorded his first shutout of the season after making 23 saves against Minnesota Duluth on Dec. 10, who were ranked fifth in the country at the time. From Nov. 12 to Dec. 10, Chrona won each of his seven starts and only allowed ten goals in that span. The Denver goaltender has a save percentage of .908 and a goals-against-average of 2.33 so far this season.
• Prospect of the Week Ozzy Wiesblatt recorded four points (1g, 3a) and 12 shots in three games last week, including three points (1g, 2a) on Dec. 7 against Swift Current. Wiesblatt ranks first on Prince Albert in assists (15) and points (21).
• Barracuda's Scott Reedy netted his league-leading sixth power-play goal on Dec. 12 vs. Abbotsford, as well as an assist. Reedy is tied-first among all AHL skaters in power-play goals (six), second in shooting percentage (37.5%) and tied for third in goals (10).
• Forward Thomas Bordeleau ranks third on Michigan in assists (13), is currently riding a two-game point streak (1g, 1a) and has recorded seven points (3g, 4a) in his last five games.
• William Eklund recorded two points (2a) on Dec. 9 vs. Växjö, his second multi-point game in nine games played. On Dec. 8, Eklund was named to Sweden's 2022 World Junior Championship roster.
• Brandon Coe leads North Bay in assists (33) and points (48) and was named the OHL Third Star of the Night after clinching the overtime game-winning goal and an assist on Dec. 9.
• Danil Gushchin currently leads his team in points (25) and goals (16), and has registered six points (4g, 2a) in his last five games. Gushchin also recorded three points (2g, 1a) on Dec. 2 vs. the Ottawa 67's, his fifth multi-point game of the season.
• Along with defenseman Ryan Merkley, Nick Cicek leads all Barracuda defensemen in points (11). In his last five games, Cicek has recorded four points (1g, 3a), including a multi-point night versus Abbotsford (1g, 1a).
For the full Sharks player report, click here.