LAS VEGAS -- Anaheim Ducks center Ryan Kesler said Tuesday it could take 4-5 months for him to recover from hip surgery earlier this month, calling the procedure an "extensive cleanup."
"It's going to take awhile," Kesler said on the eve of the 2017 NHL Awards and NHL Expansion Draft presented by T-Mobile. "Gotta be patient with that. ... It [stinks], but it had to be done."
Kesler said he will be re-evaluated in 12 weeks.
[RELATED: Complete NHL Awards coverage]
The Ducks announced Saturday that Kesler had the surgery to remove bone fragments and said he would be able to resume full activity in 12 weeks.
Kesler, 32, is a finalist for the Selke Trophy, along with Patrice Bergeron of the Boston Bruins and Mikko Koivu of the Minnesota Wild. The Selke is awarded to the best defensive forward in the League.
The Ducks, who lost to the Nashville Predators in six games in the Western Conference Final, open their preseason schedule Sept. 19 against the San Jose Sharks.
Kesler said that the pain and discomfort associated with his hip injury was a season-long struggle.
"I spent a lot of time to stay on the ice this year and a lot of time away from the rink getting worked on and flying people in," he said. "Acupuncture. You name it, and I was doing it. Toward the end of the year, I couldn't get through a game without getting pain shots.
"Everybody plays banged up. I couldn't continue going on like that."