NEW YORK ISLANDERS (33-16-6) AT BUFFALO SABRES (27-21-7)
7 PM | KEYBANK CENTER
WATCH: MSG+2 | MSG GO | NHL.TV
LISTEN: 88.7FM WRHU | 103.9FM LI NEWS | RADIO.COM/ISLANDERS
SEASON SERIES: NYI LEADS 1-0-0
The Islanders beat the Sabres 3-1 on New Year's Eve. Robin Lehner made 39 saves in his emotional return to Buffalo. Leo Komarov, Brock Nelson and Ryan Pulock scored for the Islanders who are 5-1-0 in their last six games against the Sabres. The teams conclude their season series on March 30 at NYCB Live.
- The Islanders are riding a three-game winning streak as they head to Buffalo. The Islanders are 9-1-2 in their last 12 games and are 19-4-2 in their last 25 games, the most wins and best record in the NHL since Dec. 15.
- The Islanders (72 points) are extending their lead atop the Metropolitan Division. The Isles are three points ahead of the Washington Capitals (69 points), seven points ahead of the Columbus Blue Jackets (65 points) and seven points ahead of the Pittsburgh Penguins (65 points).
- With no practice on Monday, Tuesday's starting goalie is TBD, but with the way Robin Lehner and Thomas Greiss have played of late, the Islanders are comfortable with either goaltender. Lehner is 13-2-1 (1.53 GAA, .947 SV%) in his last 16 decisions and leads the NHL in GAA (2.05) and SV% (.930) with a minimum of 19 games played.
Greiss is rolling as well, going 4-0-1 in his past five starts, stopping 154-of-157 shots over that span (0.58 GAA and .981 SV%). It's worth noting that in Greiss' shootout loss, the Islanders goalie still recorded a 41-save shutout against the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Per Eric Hornick: Lehner has won 17 games and Greiss 16, marking the second time in the last 15 seasons that the Isles have gotten at least 16 wins from two different goalies. Greiss won 23 games and Jaroslav Halak 18 in 2015-16.
- Devon Toews scored his fourth goal - and second game-winner - of the season on Sunday against the Minnesota Wild. Toews' two game-winning goals are only one shy of Denis Potvin to tie the Islanders' rookie record. Toews has six points (4G, 2A) in 21 games this season and the Islanders are 16-3-2 with Toews in the lineup.
- Ryan Pulock has seven points (2G, 5A) in his last five games. Pulock scored two goals, including the game-winner, in Saturday's 4-3 OT win over Colorado and had the primary assist on Devon Toews game-winner in a 2-1 win over Minnesota on Sunday.
- Anthony Beauvillier scored his first goal in 12 games on Sunday vs the Wild, giving him 13 on the season.
- Cal Clutterbuck missed both games over the weekend with an unspecified injury, though the veteran forward took warmups on Sunday. Tom Kuhnhackl drew into the lineup in both contests.
- The Sabres are 2-2-1 in their last five games and are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games. Buffalo is coming off a 3-1 loss to the Winnipeg Jets on Sunday.
- The Sabres (61 points) are currently four points back of the Pittsburgh Penguins for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. The Sabres were last in a playoff spot on Jan. 11.
- Jack Eichel leads the Sabres with 59 points (18G, 41A) in 52 games. Eichel has set a career-high with 43 even strength points (14G, 29A) this season.
- Jeff Skinner leads the Sabres with 33 goals and is second on the team with 50 points. Skinner's 33 goals tie the second-highest single-season total of his career (2013-14), while his career high is 37 goals, set in the 2016-17 season with Carolina. Skinner's 237 goals are the 13th-most in the NHL since the start of the 2010-11 season.
- Rasmus Dahlin has 31 points (6G, 25A) in 55 games this season. Dahlin leads all rookie defensemen in points and is tied with Elias Pettersson for the most rookie assists this season.
- Zach Bogosian missed Sunday's game with a lower-body injury.