RANGERS vs. ISLANDERS, 7:00 p.m.
Madison Square Garden
MSG Network, 98.7 FM
The Rangers play their 45th game of the 2019-20 season tonight, January 13, against the New York Islanders in a Metropolitan Division matchup at Madison Square Garden. The Rangers begin a stretch of four consecutive games against teams in the Metropolitan Division tonight (three against the Islanders and one against Columbus). Including tonight's contest, the Blueshirts will play four of their next five games, as well as eight of their next 10 games, at MSG.
RANGERS VS. ISLANDERS
- All-Time: 127-115-19-9 (72-46-11-6 at home; 55-69-8-3 on the road)
- 2019-20: Tonight's game is the first of four meetings between the Rangers and Islanders, and the first of two meetings between the two teams at MSG. Following tonight's game, the Rangers and Islanders will face each other on the following dates: Jan. 16 (at Long Island), Jan. 21 (at MSG), Feb. 25 (at Long Island). The Blueshirts play three of their four games against the Islanders in a nine-day span, and those three games are in a span of four contests for the team. The last time the Rangers faced one team three times in a span of four team games was in 2005-06 (the Blueshirts faced the Islanders on Oct. 19, 2005, Oct. 20, 2005, and Oct. 27, 2005).
- 2018-19: The Rangers posted a 2-2-0 record (1-1-0 at home; 1-1-0 on the road). Filip Chytil (three goals, one assist), Chris Kreider (three goals, one assist), and Mika Zibanejad (four assists) tied for the team lead with four points in the season series. Alexandar Georgiev posted a 2-1-0 record, along with a 0.87 GAA, a .967 SV% (58 saves on 60 shots), and 1 SO in three appearances in the season series.
- Ryan Strome played parts of four seasons with the Islanders (2013-14 - 2016-17).
- Micheal Haley began his NHL career with the Islanders and played parts of three seasons with the team (2009-10 - 2011-12). In addition, he played in the Islanders organization (either with the Islanders or their minor league affiliates) for five seasons (2007-08 - 2011-12).
- Derick Brassard played parts of four seasons with the Rangers (2012-13 - 2015-16).
INDIVIDUAL CAREER STATISTICS VS. ISLANDERS
- Henrik Lundqvist - 61 GP, 30-21-7, 2.41 GAA, .915 SV%, 5 SO - Lundqvist has appeared in more games and has earned more wins and shutouts against the Islanders than any other goaltender in Rangers history.
- Artemi Panarin - 12 GP, 5-10-15 - Panarin has recorded a point in eight of 12 career games against the Islanders.
- Mika Zibanejad - 23 GP, 4-11-15 - Zibanejad has tallied an assist/point in three of the last four games against the Islanders (four assists).
- Filip Chytil - 5 GP, 3-1-4 - Chytil enters the contest with a four-game point streak against the Islanders (three goals, one assist).
TAKING THE METRO
Including tonight's game, 17 of the Rangers' final 38 regular-season games in 2019-20 are against teams in the Metropolitan Division. The Rangers have earned a win in eight of their last nine games against Metropolitan Division opponents (8-1-0 record) and have posted an 8-3-0 record against teams in the Metropolitan Division this season. The Rangers have also won all five games against Metropolitan Division opponents at MSG this season and have outscored their opponents, 21-11, in the five games.
HOME SWEET HOME
The Rangers have earned a win in each of their last four home games and have outscored their opponents, 21-10, over the span. The Blueshirts have recorded five or more goals in each of their last four home games and have recorded five or more goals in four consecutive home games for the first time since Oct. 26, 2016 vs. Boston to Nov. 6, 2016 vs. Winnipeg (five games).
DID YOU KNOW?
The Rangers are the only team that currently has a player ranked sixth or higher in the NHL in points (Artemi Panarin - tied for fifth with 62) and a defenseman ranked sixth or higher among NHL defensemen in points (Tony DeAngelo - sixth with 36 points) this season. The last time the Blueshirts finished a season with a player ranked sixth or higher in the NHL in points, as well as a defenseman ranked sixth or higher among NHL defensemen in points, was 1996-97 (Wayne Gretzky and Brian Leetch).
The Rangers have registered at least three goals in six of the last eight games, as well as five or more goals in two of the last three games, in five of the last eight games, and in six of the last 10 games. The Rangers have registered 38 goals over the last 10 games (since Dec. 22), which is the second-most in the NHL over the span (Tampa Bay - 43). The Rangers rank ninth in the NHL in goals per game this season (3.32).
SHOOT TO SCORE
The Rangers have posted an 11.1% shooting percentage in 2019-20, which is the second-best in the NHL (Tampa Bay - 11.2%).
The Blueshirts are the only NHL team that has had eight players 21 years old or younger appear in at least one game in 2019-20 and are one of three NHL teams that have had two goaltenders 24 years old or younger appear in at least one game this season. Each of the Rangers' two goals on Jan. 11 at St. Louis was scored by a player who is 21 years old or younger (Chytil and Howden), and four of the six points recorded by Rangers players in the contest were by players 21 years old or younger (Chytil - two; Howden - one; Lindgren - one).
Rangers defensemen have tallied 125 points (34 goals, 91 assists) in 2019-20. Blueshirts defensemen have recorded more goals and more points than defensemen from any other team this season.