PENGUINS, PREDATORS FACE OFF IN GAME 1 OF STANLEY CUP FINAL
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Nashville Predators open the 2017 Stanley Cup Final when they face off in Game 1 at PPG Paints Arena.
* The reigning champion Penguins are vying to become the first repeat Stanley Cup winner since the Detroit Red Wings in 1997 and 1998. Pittsburgh is playing in its sixth Stanley Cup Final -- all since 1991, tied for the most in the NHL in that span (w/ DET).
* The Predators, who began play in 1998-99 and are competing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the 10th time, are making their first appearance in the Stanley Cup Final. They had three total playoff series wins prior to this year (3-9).
* The Penguins and Predators have met 25 times during the regular season, with Pittsburgh owning a 12-11 edge in wins and 27-26 point advantage (PIT: 12-10-3, NSH: 11-10-4). They split their two matchups in 2016-17, with each team winning on home ice.
SNEAK PEEK AT MONDAY'S ACTION
All Times Eastern
Nashville @ Pittsburgh, Game 1, 8 p.m., NBC, CBC, SN, TVA Sports
NBC Sports Channel Finder
Sportsnet Channel Finder
NHL Network Channel Finder
DID YOU KNOW?
Since the Final went to the best-of-7 format in 1939, the team that has won Game 1 has gone on to capture the Stanley Cup 77.9% of the time (60 of 77 series) -- including each of the past five years.
TALE OF THE TAPE
A closer look at how the Penguins and Predators match up (minimum 1 GP in playoffs):
PIT: 6'1" (72.5"), NSH: 6'1" (72.5")
PIT: 193 lbs., NSH: 201 lbs.
PIT: 28.8, NSH: 27.6
PIT: Canada (10), USA (10), Sweden (2), Finland (1), Germany (1), Russia (1), Switzerland (1)
NSH: Canada (12), Sweden (5), Finland (3), Switzerland (3), USA (3)
POSTSEASON TEAM RANKINGS
A snapshot of how the Penguins and Predators have fared thus far in the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs:
Goals For (Per Game)
PIT: 1st (3.05), NSH: 3rd (2.94)
Goals Against (Per Game)
PIT: 5th (2.32), NSH: 1st (2.28)
PIT: 3rd (25.0%), NSH: 12th (14.9%)
PIT: 8th (85.5%), NSH: 4th (88.1%)
Shots on Goal (Per Game)
PIT: 10th (30.2), NSH: 12th (29.9)
Shots Against (Per Game)
PIT: 11th (32.6), NSH: 4th (29.7)
Face Off Winning Percentage
PIT: 6th (51.0%), NSH: 9th (50.1%)
Hits (Per Game)
PIT: 13th (29.9), NSH: 14th (29.5)
Blocked Shots (Per Game)
PIT: 6th (18.1), NSH: 14th (15.4)
CLOSE GAMES, COMEBACKS AND OVERTIMES HIGHLIGHT PLAYOFFS
Of the 81 games contested thus far in the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs:
* 50 have been decided by one goal (61.7%), one shy of the single-year NHL record established in 2007 (51 in 81 GP, 63.0%). Another 10 have been decided by two goals following an empty-net score (combined, 74.1%).
* 32 have featured a team winning after trailing by at least one goal to win (39.5%), including 14 multi-goal comeback victories (17.3%). That is one shy of the single-year NHL record, set in 2014 (15 in 93 GP, 16.1%).
* 27 have required overtime (33.3%), one shy of the single-year NHL record established in 1993 (28 in 85 GP, 32.9%).