NEW YORK - With a new NHL regular season upon us, hockey fans will have more digital access points - and team-centric customizable opportunities - than ever with a new suite of product updates and launches as part of the NHL's long-term digital partnership with BAMTech. This season will see fans' consumption experiences expand to a wide array of devices and platforms - including live streaming, mobile app, in-venue, social media, original team content, and more.
NHL.TV™ enters its first full season, as powered by BAMTech, and gives subscribers access to watch every out-of-market game live and on demand^ in HD on more platforms than ever before - including the introduction of its new tvOS app for Apple TV.
Launched during the pre-season, the new NHL.TV™ tvOS app delivers 60 frames per second (fps) HD quality video, along with multi-game viewing and more features for hockey fans. This offseason, the NHL.TV™ experience on Xbox One also was redesigned and is now available for subscribers.
- NEW - CUSTOMIZED PREFERENCE SYNC: Fans can have their personal preferences, such as 'hide spoilers' and 'favorite team,' synced across web and supported connected devices.
- UNIVERSAL ACCESS: One NHL.TV™ subscription allows fans to watch live and on-demand hockey^ on any supported device (Android smartphones and tablets; iPhones; iPads; Chromecast; Apple TV; Roku; Xbox One; Xbox 360; PlayStation 4; PlayStation 3; PS Vita).
- HD VIDEO: Watch live NHL® games in 60fps high quality video.
- WEB MEDIA PLAYER: HD quality streaming through a responsive, in-page layout. Includes features like multi-game viewing, alternative camera angles and enhanced live game data.
- HOME/AWAY: Choose any available play-by-play broadcast.
- DVR: Pause and rewind any live game stream with full DVR controls.
- MILESTONE MARKERS: Watch full-game archives and use milestone markers to jump directly to the most important highlights.
- MOSAIC®: Access up to four live games at one time with Mosaic® view.
Fans will have three NHL.TV™ subscriptions options for the 2016-17 season: $139.96 annual; $111.96 single-team and $24.99 monthly. Visit NHL.TV™ for a list of supported devices and complete information.
YOUR TEAM. YOUR APP.
With the introduction of original team content and customization, the NHL® App is now the official app of 25 NHL teams.* New for the 2016-17 season, fans anywhere will have the unprecedented opportunity to watch two minutes of live action from every regulation period in every regular season game - without blackout restrictions.
The NHL App also is the only hockey app that gives subscribers access to watch live out-of-market games with NHL.TV™. Fans can stream live game audio broadcasts while also getting single-touch access to a personalized favorite team experience for up-to-the-moment news, scores, stats, exclusive highlights, photos and much more.
- Watch two minutes of action in every regulation period live with no blackout restrictions
- Watch the final minutes, including 3-on-3 OT and shootouts, of every live out-of-market game
- Get access to all in-game highlights
- No pre-roll or banner ads
- 2016-17 SEASON SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS: $19.99 annual; $2.99 per month; NHL.TV™ subscription includes NHL Premium™ for free
Favorite Team Customization - Your Team's Official App*
- Customize the NHL® App home screen to feature your designated favorite team (iPhone and Android phones only)
- Team scoreboard with scoring summary carousel and inline video highlights
- Complete team information such as schedules, news, tickets, official merchandise, rosters and social media
- Watch select key plays and pivotal moments with in-game and post-game highlights
- Listen to Home, Away and alternate language (where available) radio broadcasts
- Live game simulation with active game clock, up-to-the-moment shift changes, boxscores and play-by-play
- Sortable player and team statistics
- Team video library archive, searchable by player or keyword
- Customizable team push notifications for game start, game end, in-game video highlights, lead changes, goals, news and more
- New notification sounds featuring your favorite team's official goal horn
NHL® App Technology
- 60fps (frames per second) HD streaming for live video (supported devices only)
- Multitasking and Picture-in-Picture capabilities (supported iPads only)
- Universal support for NHL Premium™ subscribers, accessible across all supported phones and tablets
- Video and audio electronic programming guides
- Closed captioning for live video^
^ Blackout and other restrictions may apply.
* The NHL® App is not the official team app for five NHL teams.
For the first time, NHL fans attending games, and other live events, at 12 participating teams' home arenas will have customized and comprehensive mobile app venue experiences with a brand new product, built by BAMTech's award-winning mobile developers, called ARENA. This first version of the free download, available for iPhone and Android, will allow fans attending live events at some of the best venues across North America to search events with a complete calendar, buy and manage their tickets, enter with mobile tickets, get in-app notifications and promotions and order in-seat food delivery. Additional location awareness features and functionality to amplify, share and memorialize fans' experiences at hockey arenas will be added and announced when available.
Also, through MLBAM's previously announced partnership with Bypass, the deal also enabled future integration into the Arena app to allow hockey fans to place and pay for concessions orders from their smart phones anywhere in participating NHL venues. Bypass has a wide range of mobile payment products for easy integration into the app and robust full-venue commerce capabilities.
ORIGINAL CONTENT: NEW CLUB SITES, SOCIAL RTCs
Every NHL team has unveiled its new and upgraded official website for the beginning of the 2016-17 season. The enhanced, and mobile optimized for phones and tablets, website features more original team content, a more user-friendly design interface and new player pages, among other fan-friendly features such as a new homepage, scrollable articles, higher quality images, and HD-quality video.
Also, the NHL will debut its real-time correspondent (RTC) social media program across its markets. The RTC program is designed to capture up-to-the-moment - and importantly fan-driven - original content for social media and other digital platforms. Originally tested during last year's Stanley Cup Playoffs, the correspondents take pre-game photos and videos of fans and the game's atmosphere and spend the game roving the arena collecting additional fan-friendly, sharable content. This content is then available to be shared across the league's and clubs' official social media accounts and their millions of followers and fans.
AND MORE ...
The NHL will continue to bring fans new consumer products, features and accessibility to consume the game over the course of the season. A couple of those coming soon, include:
Gamecenter: Fans will be able to follow every game in a reimagined live game simulation with new statistical data. This will be available on NHL.com, Club sites and the NHL® App.
Twitter Live Game Streaming: As previously announced, one out-of-market NHL game per week will be live streamed for free on Twitter. The live stream will be available to logged-in and logged-out Twitter users in the United States.
Complete details for each, as well as additional products and upgrades, will be available at each respective launch.