Over a lifetime of writing, The Maven has found that, generally, one of the best sources of quotes is the legendary research volume called "Bartlett's Familiar Quotations."
And while there is no Bartlett's for hockey, there is Glenn Liebman's wonderful tome called "Hockey Shorts -- 1001 Of The Game's Funniest Lines." I'm indebted to Liebman for the following. Here are my 19 favorites from the Islanders and about them:
1. GLENN (CHICO) RESCH ON MIKE BOSSY: "Mike scores goals as naturally as you and I wake up in the morning and brush our teeth."
2. TERRY CRISP ON JOHN TONELLI: "Tonelli's the Chevy with all the hard miles. The way he plays wears you down."
3. AL (RADAR) ARBOUR ON HIS TOUGH JOB: "Coaching is aggravation. You give the players aggravation and they give it back."
4. EX-ISLES COACH TERRY SIMPSON ON HIS TOUGH JOB: "You can't sleep at night, you can't eat properly, and your hair turns grey. But boy, is it fun!
5. BILL TORREY AFTER MOVING FROM G.M. TO CONSULTANT: "I'm an insultant. And I'm insulting to the best of my ability."
6. CHICO RESCH AFTER HIT 'PIPES' HELPED WIN A PLAYOFF GAME: "I want to thank my friends, the goal posts, for getting me a win tonight."
7. MIKE BOSSY ASKED ABOUT HIS HAIR TURNING GREY: "That's a pigment of your imagination."
8. MICK VUKOTA ON GETTING HIS ONLY ISLANDERS HAT TRICK: "I thought I was going to faint after the third one. I was in shock!"
9. EX-ISLES G.M. MIKE MILBURY ON COMMITMENT: "In hockey, teams that are committed enough, hungry enough, can make more of an impact than baseball or basketball players can make with the same intensity."
10. RANGERS FORWARD DON MALONEY ON WATCHING MIKE BOSSY: "Every time he touches the puck, we all sit up a little straighter and hold our breath."
11. CLARK GILLIES, AFTER BEING ASKED THE LOCATION OF HIS HOME TOWN OF MOOSE JAW, SASKATCHEWAN: "It's six feet behind the moose's behind."
12. KELLY HRUDEY AFTER ISLES WERE ELIMINATED BY THE DEVILS IN 1988 PLAYOFFS: "I wish there were back alleys on Long Island so I could drive on them and nobody would see me."
13. PATRICK FLATLEY AFTER A REFEREE REFUSED TO LOOK AT A VIDEOTAPE OF A DISALLOWED GOAL, CLAIMING IT DID NOT MEET THE NHL CRITERIA: "What are the criteria? When the moons of Saturn are in line?"
14. AL ARBOUR ON HIS ISLANDERS WINNING A GAME, 8-7: "I looked at the tapes and it was like reading a Sunday morning comic strip."
15. ISLES PENALTY-KILLER BILLY CARROLL ON FANS ASKING HIM HOW MANY GOALS HE HAD IN A SEASON IN WHICH HE DIDN'T SCORE: "They'll ask me how many goals I had and I just tell them I have as many as they do."
16. BILL TORREY ON HOW MUCH HE LIKES GOALIE BILL SMITH: "When I want to win a hockey game or walk down a dark alley, I know where Smitty will be. He'll be there!"
17. CLARK GILLIES ON HIS DOG DRINKING FROM THE STANLEY CUP: "Why not? He's a good dog."
18. CHICO RESCH ON HIS NON-STOP COMMENTARY: "If I wasn't talking, I wouldn't know what to say!"
19. BILL TORREY ON BRYAN TROTTIER'S VALUE AS A QUIET LEADER: "He brought fire to the franchise, even though the fire burned mostly inside."