The New York Islanders will host their annual Military Appreciation Night on Friday, Nov. 1 when they take on the Tampa Bay Lightning at 7 p.m. at NYCB Live. The first 10,000 fans in attendance will also receive a free military-themed Islanders hat.
In recognition of the night, players will wear special camouflage-print military jerseys during Friday's pregame warm-ups. The autographed jerseys will be auctioned online until Nov. 7 on newyorkislanders.com with proceeds benefitting the Islanders Children's Foundation. Also, in part of the NHL's initiative to honor military personnel American flag decals will be placed on players helmets over the course of the next two weeks.
Friday night's game will also have a special puck drop ceremony where military personnel from the 103rd Rescue Squadron of the New York Air National Guard 106th Rescue Wing out of West Hampton Beach106th Rescue Wing will repel down from the catwalk to drop the puck, alongside a member of the Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Team.
The game will feature additional activations including recognitions of military members across different era's, military related non-profit group concourse activations, static displays and fundraising initiatives that fans can participate:
- Through a donation of tickets via the organization more than 350 military members and their families will be able to enjoy the game
- Static Displays on the concourse inclusive of a Bomb Robot and Military K-9
- Outside Plaza activation featuring two military Humvees
- In-game recognition of Military members across different era's throughout the course of the game
- Concourse activations inclusive of the following Military related non-profit groups: United Heroes League, Veterans Beacon House, Operation Homefront, Tuesday's Children
- Fundraising initiatives including - Mystery Military Pucks, 50/50 Raffle
- Send a Message to a Troop- Visit the Community Relations table to handwrite a note that will be sent overseas to a Military member