The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have signed center Nolan Patrick to an entry-level contract, according to general manager Ron Hextall.
Patrick was selected by the Flyers second overall in the first round of last month's 2017 NHL Entry Draft. Below are news & notes on Patrick:
DRAFTED: 2017 (2nd Overall, First Round)
BIRTHDATE: September 19, 1998
BIRTHPLACE: Winnipeg, Manitoba
VITALS: 6'2", 198 pounds
* In 2016-17 he was the captain of the Brandon Wheat Kings and averaged more than a point per-game with 20 goals and 26 assists for 46 points in just 33 games. He missed 39 games, including the WHL Playoffs, due to injury.
* Patrick had abdominal surgery on June 13th and he will be able to resume full activity in 4-6 weeks from that date. He participated in the off-ice activities at Flyers Development Camp, but did not participate in the on-ice skating portion… He is expected to begin skating in the next week.
* He also participated in the physical testing at the NHL Combine and said he will be 100 percent healthy to begin his 2017-18 season.
* As a 17-year-old in 2015-16, he finished fifth among all WHL players with 102 points (41g-61a) in 72 games… His 61 assists tied for third in the WHL… His 41 goals ranked second on the team and tied for eighth overall in the WHL… He finished third in the WHL with a +51 rating.
* At the end of that season, he was named MVP of the 2016 WHL Playoffs after helping Brandon win its first Championship in 20 years, recording 30 points (13g-17a) in 21 games.
* He was teammates with current Flyers defenseman, Ivan Provorov, for their championship run in 2016.
* As a 16-year-old, he won the WHL Rookie of the Year award in 2014-15 with 30 goals and 26 assists for 56 points in 55 games.
* His father, Steve Patrick, was selected 20th overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 1980 NHL Draft. While his Uncle, James Patrick, was selected 9th overall by the NY Rangers in 1981. Secure next season now! Flyers 2017-18 season ticket memberships are available by calling 215.218.PUCK or PhiladelphiaFlyers.com.