CANUCKS VS DEVILS PREVIEW
The Vancouver Canucks face off against the New Jersey Devils for the first of two meetings this season. The Canucks visit New Jersey later this month on Nov. 24.
Vancouver is 5-3-2 in their last 10 games against New Jersey (0-3-2 in their last 5). They are 4-1-1 in 6 past games this season versus Eastern Conference teams.
Tonight's game is the third of a 5-game homestand that will conclude with visits from Pittsburgh (Nov. 4) and Detroit (Nov. 6).
VS DEVILS NOTES
• Alex Burmistrov appeared in his 100th career game on Dec. 3/11 vs NJ.
• Michael Del Zotto registered his 100th NHL point on Mar. 19/13 at NJ. He is 6 points away from 200.
• Jacob Markstrom made his NHL debut on Jan. 23/11 at NJ. He is 1-5-1 along with a .873 save percentage in 7 career games versus New Jersey.
• Anders Nilsson recorded his first NHL win and shutout on Mar. 4/12 vs NJ. He is 4-1-1 along with a .952 save percentage in 7 career games versus the Devils.
• Henrik Sedin has collected 17 points (4-13-17) in 19 career games versus the Devils.
• Thomas Vanek has 16 points (11-5-16) in 37 career games versus the Devils.
• Daniel Sedin has recorded 15 points (5-10-15) in 19 career games versus New Jersey.
• Brandon Sutter has 13 points (5-8-13) in 28 career games versus New Jersey.
LAST GAME: OCT. 30: VAN 1 vs DAL 2 (OT)
Sam Gagner scored his first as a Canuck on the power play six minutes into the third period to tie it 1-1...Thomas Vanek and Daniel Sedin each netted an assist on the play...Jacob Markstrom made 27 saves for the Canucks who had their 4-game win streak snapped...Alex Biega had a game-high 4 hits while Michael Del Zotto had a team-high 3 blocked shots...Brandon Sutter had a season high 17 face-off wins.
QUICK HITS (Through Oct. 30)
• Brock Boeser ranks tied for 13th in rookie goals (2) and tied for 5th in rookie points (9). He also ranks second among rookies in points per game (1.13).
• Bo Horvat ranks 13th in the League in faceoff wins (122). Brandon Sutter ranks 18th with 109.
• Michael Del Zotto leads the team and ranks tied for 12th in the League in blocked shots with 27. He also leads the team and ranks 20th in the League with 24:27 TOI/game.
• Derek Dorsett leads the team in goals (6), hits (25) and penalty minutes (44) and is tied for second in points (8). He ranks fifth in the League for best shooting percentage (31.6%; min. 10 games played).
• The Canucks rank t-4th in faceoff win percentage at 52.9%.
• The Canucks are tied for the 8th best record over the past 10 games (6-3-1).
• The Canucks have killed off 15 of the last 16 penalties. Their penalty kill currently ranks 8th in the NHL at 83.7%.
• Vancouver has the 13th best record in the League over the last 10 games (5-3-2).
• According to Elias Sports Bureau, with his second shutout in his third game of the season, Anders Nilsson became the latest goalie to record two shutouts over his first three games with a team since Michael Neuvirth recorded shutouts in his second and third appearances with the Flyers on Oct.12-14/15.
• With his third career shutout on Oct. 17 at OTT, Anders Nilsson became the third Canucks goaltender to post a shutout in his Canucks debut (joining Mike Fountain (1993) and Johan Hedberg (2003)). He also became the first Canucks goaltender to earn a shutout at Ottawa since Kay Whitmore on Apr. 4/93.
• With his 3 point performance on Oct. 20 at BUF, Derek Dorsett tied a career-high for both goals (2) and points (3) in a game. His first goal shorthanded was the 4th such goal of his career.
THE GOING RATE
• Jake Virtanen has 3 points (2-1-3) over the past 5 games including goals in back-to-back games for the first time in his NHL career on Oct. 22-24. He scored in 3 straight last season with Utica from Dec. 7-10.
• Brock Boeser has 8 points (2-7-9) over 8 games played, which included a career high three assists/points on Oct. 26 vs WSH.
• Michael Del Zotto recorded at least an assist in 4 straight games from Oct. 17-22: 5 assists, which tied a career high (Dec. 5-11/11: 5 assists).
• Derek Dorsett has 6 goals over the past 8 games. This included a 3-goal scoring streak, the longest goal scoring streak of his career, from Oct.19-22.
• Alex Burmistrov has 5 points (1-4-5) over the past 8 games.
• Sam Gagner has 2 points (1-1-2) over the past 2 games.
• Bo Horvat has 4 points (1-3-4) over the past 4 games.
• Sven Baertschi has 4 goals over the past 4 games.