NHL teams play 82 games in 172 days, averaging a game every other day. In addition to that, each team plays between 10 and 17 back-to-back games, which can add an additional gruelling aspect to the schedule.
So, LA Kings Head Strength & Conditioning Coach Matt Price is sharing how he optimizes recovery periods to help better the Kings' athletic performance.
The "Three Big R's of Recovery" are:
- consume a recovery drink filled with carbohydrates and protein within 30 minutes of activity
- consume a high-quality postgame meal within 2 hours of activity
- players can lose as much as 5% their bodyweight in sweat, so it's important to consume 1.5 times what was lost to rehydrate the body
- ice baths and compression pants can help repair muscles
- 8-9 hours of quality sleep is recommended
Video: Matt Price on the recovery process for the LA Kings