LOS ANGELES - As part of the franchise's 50th Anniversary celebration, and to help highlight the club's Forever 50 community initiative, the Los Angeles Kings today announced a significant new partnership with the YMCA.
Over the next five years, the Kings will donate $1 million to the Los Angeles Chapter of the YMCA. As part of the donation, the team, with the support of Delta Airlines, will distribute 5,000 hockey sticks into the hands of local youth.
"Our mission to grow the game of hockey begins at the grass roots level and the YMCA is a perfect partner for us to help support these goals," said Kings President, Business Operations, Luc Robitaille. "We want every child in this community to experience our great game and with 26 locations in and around Los Angeles, they have the ability to reach hundreds of thousands of kids each and every day. This program will make it easy to get sticks into kids hands so they can eventually take the game from the ground to the ice."
The announcement was made earlier today at the LA City Council Chambers as Councilmembers Jose Huizar, Curren Price and the Los Angeles City Council honored the Kings with a special resolution from the City of Los Angeles at the Council's morning meeting.
Today's announcement is the latest in a series of Forever 50 announcements. The Kings and Kings Care Foundation have pledged to engage Kings players, alumni, staff and fans with 50 charitable acts throughout the city of Los Angeles. These acts, characterized by monetary and in-kind donations, awareness campaigns and volunteerism, intend to give back in a substantial way to the same city that has supported the LA Kings since the franchise began in 1966.
Below is a sample of some of the organizations and events the club's Forever 50 program will highlight as part of the Kings' 50th Anniversary. For more information, please visit lakings.com/forever50 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LA Kings 5k Run/Walk: Held in conjunction with the Hydrocephalus Association, the 3rd annual LA Kings 5k Run/Walk will raise funds for research and programs benefiting individuals with Hydrocephalus.
- Girls On The Run: Fifteen girls, ages 8 - 13 from 9th Street Elementary, will be empowered to learn life skills through dynamic, conversation-based lessons over a 15-week 5k training program.
- Reading is Fundamental: In an effort to improve literacy and access to educational resources, the LA Kings teamed up with Reading is Fundamental to give 5,000 students a new sports book of their very own by sponsoring the very first Sports Book Section.
- Grid Alternatives: In an effort to provide financial relief to low income families and reduce energy consumption, the LA Kings will partner with Grid Alternatives to sponsor a solar panel installation and thus reduce future greenhouse gas emission by 66 tons for a single home.
- Fit To Be King Run Club: LA Kings fans locally and abroad are invited to get "Fit To Be King" alongside Daryl Evans each season through weekly runs and other simple steps towards a healthier heart.
- Make A Wish / Star of the Month: Each month, children from the Make A Wish network will be given the opportunity to take part in an ancillary wish experience with their families at an LA Kings game.
- Make A Wish: 50 children from the Make A Wish will enjoy at day out with the LA Kings at the team's annual practice facility, complete with ice skating, behind-the-scenes tours and player meet & greets on October 26.
- Hockey Fights Cancer: In keeping with the NHL's league-wide initiative Hockey Fights Cancer during October, the LA Kings will raise funds and awareness for Breakaway from Cancer in partnership with Amgen Tour at STAPLES Center on October 25, 2016.
- Heroes Among Us: 50 Heroes in various fields - including health, the military, first responders and members of the local community - will be welcomed to STAPLES Center for a LA Kings game and recognized for their work throughout the season,
- Camp Ronald McDonald For Good Times: Fans attending the LA Kings vs Nashville Predators game on October 27 are encouraged to donate new or gently used Halloween costumes to benefit campers at Camp Ronald McDonald For Good Times.
- Royal Readers: The LA Kings Royal Readers program invites schools across Los Angeles to encourage their students to read through the team's incentivized reading program.
- Shoes That Fit: In partnership with Shoes That Fit, the LA Kings will attempt to eliminate one of poverty's most visible and debilitating marks at Cimmaron School - shoes. Students in need will be gifted new athletic shoes so they can attend school in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play.
- Discovery Cube Los Angeles: Families are welcome to enjoy all the interactive exhibits at Discovery Cube LA and take advantage of special opportunities to play street hockey, meet LA Kings celebrities and take home giveaways.
- American Red Cross: Residential fires are the number one cause of disaster fatality in the US. To address this issue, the LA Kings will sponsor a signature event with the American Red Cross Home Fire Campaign to canvas and install smoke detectors in 500 homes in Long Beach and Hawthorne.
- March of Dimes / USO: LA Kings player's wives, with the help of USO and March of Dimes, will host a baby shower for expectant mothers whose husbands are in the armed forces on November 19.
- Food Drives: Fans attending select LA Kings games in November are encouraged to donate non-perishable food items to benefit Los Angeles Regional Food Bank
- Toy Drives: Fans attending select LA Kings games in November and December are encouraged to donate new toys to benefit local children's charities.
- LA's Best: 40 aspiring young reporters will be given the tools and access to the LA Kings to author their first professional sports pieces through LA's Best "KidPress" program.
- Child Abuse Prevention Center: 25 players and their families will sponsor a family in need during the holidays. Participating families will be invited to watch a LA Kings game in a catered suite and will open presents with the players.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters: Twenty-five LA Kings staff will participate in the Worksite Mentorship program in which high school juniors from City Honor College Prepatory in Ingelwood, California will be given their first exposure to the working world.
- Heal The Bay: LA Kings fans will be invited to beautify three beaches across the Los Angeles coast.
- Enrich LA: 20th Street Elementary will be the newest recipient of an interactive garden and subsequent nutritional education programs with the help of the LA Kings and Melissa's Produce.
- Homeless Count of Los Angeles: To support government efforts as it relates to the homeless population in Los Angeles, the LA Kings will subsidize the deployment center for volunteers during the annual Homeless Count.
- 4 Paws 4 Patriots: Proceeds of the LA Kings pet calendar, We Are All K9s, will support training 21 service dogs for 21 veterans in need.
- Children's Hospital Los Angeles Blood Donor Center: Blood Drives will be conducted by Children's Hospital Los Angeles outside STAPLES Center prior to the LA Kings games on January 7, 9 and 12.
- Pets for the Elderly: The LA Kings will fund dog and cat adoptions to alleviate the financial burden for seniors seeking companionship.
- LA Kings Sled Hockey: The LA Kings will invest in steady, experienced leadership to head the Sled Hockey Team and manage training and tournament logistics.
- Sunrise Center: Female staff from the LA Kings will join ladies residing at the Sunrise Senior Living Center for lunch and manicures.
- Ace Bailey Foundation: Members of Bailey's Buddies will receive assorted gifts and promotional items from LA Kings sponsors inside their own branded lunch box with a $20 donation benefiting Ace Bailey Foundation.
For half a century, the Los Angeles Kings have been bringing excitement, passion and Stanley Cup glory to Southern California, delighting our deeply loyal fan base by being a leader in incredible events and employing the greatest players in NHL history. The legacy continues as we celebrate our 50th Anniversary, striving for innovation in a constant pursuit of excellence with a first-class commitment to our fans and partners, and with an unmatched pledge to improving our community. We Are All Kings.