VEGAS (December 2, 2019) - Vegas Golden Knights General Manager Kelly McCrimmon announced today, December 2, the following roster transactions: the team has assigned forward Nicolas Roy to the American Hockey League's Chicago Wolves and have acquired forward Chandler Stephenson from the Washington Capitals in exchange for a fifth-round selection in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft. Stephenson will wear the number 20 with the Golden Knights. McCrimmon will be available to the media at 4:45 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 3 prior to the game against the New Jersey Devils.
The 25-year-old Stephenson has appeared in 168 NHL games - all with Washington - and has recorded 33 points (14 G, 19 A) to go with 16 penalty minutes. This season with the Capitals, he has appeared in 24 games and has recorded four points (3 G, 1 A) to go with six penalty minutes. Stephenson helped the Capitals win the 2018 Stanley Cup and in 30 Stanley Cup playoff games, he has recorded seven points (2 G, 5 A) to go with 10 penalty minutes.
Stephenson spent four seasons with the Western Hockey League's Regina Pats (2010-14), finishing with 195 points (73 G, 122 A) to go with 132 penalty minutes. During his final season with the Pats in 2013-14, he led the team in points with 89 (30 G, 59 A) to go with 65 penalty minutes.
The native of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan was selected by Washington in the third round (77th overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Roy made his Golden Knights debut against Anaheim on October 27 and scored the first goal of his NHL career. He has appeared in a total of 14 NHL games, seven of which came with the Carolina Hurricanes, and has tallied three points (1 G, 2 A). This season with the Wolves, he has appeared in 11 games and has recorded six points (2 G, 4 A).
Last season with the AHL's Charlotte Checkers, Roy finished with 36 points (17 G, 19 A) to go with 28 penalty minutes in 69 games and ranked third on the team with five game-winning goals. He also appeared in 19 Calder Cup playoff games for the Checkers and helped lead the team to a Calder Cup championship. Roy finished tied for third on the team in playoff scoring with 15 points (6 G, 9 A) to go with 14 penalty minutes. In two seasons in the AHL, he amassed 74 points (28 G, 46 A) to go with 65 penalty minutes in 139 games.
The native of Amos, Quebec was acquired by the Golden Knights along with a conditional fifth round draft pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft from Carolina in exchange for forward Erik Haula.
Chandler Stephenson, Forward
Birthplace: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Weight: 190 lbs.
Draft: Selected by Washington Capitals in the third round (77th overall) in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft
- Has appeared in 168 NHL games, all with the Capitals, and has recorded 33 points (14 G, 19 A) to go with 16 penalty minutes
- Appeared in 24 games for the Capitals during the 2019-20 season collecting four points (3 G, 1 A) to go with six penalty minutes
- Has appeared in a total of 30 games during the Stanley Cup Playoffs over two seasons and recorded seven points (2 G, 5 A) in 24 games during the 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs
- Spent four seasons playing with the Western Hockey League's Regina Pats and led the team in scoring with 89 points (30 G, 59 A) during the 2013-14 season
Nicolas Roy, Forward
Birthplace: Amos, QC, Canada
Weight: 200 lbs.
Draft: Selected by Carolina Hurricanes in the fourth round (96th overall) in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft
- Made Golden Knights debut against Anaheim (Oct. 27) and scored his first career NHL goal
- Finished the 2018-19 season with the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League with 36 points (17 G, 19 A) to go with 28 penalty minutes in 69 games
- Appeared in six games with the Carolina Hurricanes during the 2018-19 season
- Helped lead the Checkers to a Calder Cup championship in 2019, finishing with 15 points (6 G, 9 A) to go with 14 penalty minutes in 19 games, which tied for third on the team in scoring
- Led the Checkers in the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs in short-handed goals with two
- Collected 38 points (11 G, 27 A) in 70 games for the Checkers in 2017-18 season
TRANSACTION: Vegas Golden Knights assign forward Nicolas Roy to the American Hockey League's Chicago Wolves and acquire forward Chandler Stephenson from the Washington Capitals in exchange for a fifth-round selection in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft.
ABOUT THE VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS
The Vegas Golden Knights are a National Hockey League franchise owned and operated by Black Knight Sports and Entertainment LLC. The Vegas Golden Knights were established by founding partners William Foley and his family and the Maloof family. For the latest news and information on the Golden Knights visit vegasgoldenknights.com. Fans can follow the team on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.