National Hockey League announced Thursday that the NHL Centennial Fan Arena will stop in Colorado on March 10-11, 2017. An interactive traveling fan experience that will visit all NHL markets across North America in 2017, the NHL Centennial Fan Arena is a main pillar of the NHL's Centennial festivities honoring a century's worth of extraordinary players, teams, remarkable plays and unforgettable moments. Each stop includes features and exhibits customized for the local club.
Created with NHL players and fans at the center of the experience, the NHL Centennial Fan Arena combines great NHL traditions with the latest in technology, and marks the first time any sport has produced a North American-wide, year-long, interactive traveling fan festival that will visit every League market.
"In just 18 days, the NHL Centennial Fan Arena has visited Toronto, Arizona, Dallas and San Jose, and the response has been overwhelming," said Steve Mayer, NHL Chief Content Officer and Executive Vice President. "It truly is the ultimate fan experience - whether you want to immerse yourself in the history of the NHL, try your skill at the Virtual Reality Zamboni Experience, play some pickup ball hockey or take a selfie with the Stanley Cup, the Fan Arena offers something for everyone. Over 50,000 fans have experienced it to date, and we're looking forward to continuing our West Coast swing over the next 10 days."
The Avalanche will announce further details about the tour's stop on a later date.
WHAT FANS WILL EXPERIENCE AT THE NHL CENTENNNIAL FAN ARENA
· MUSEUM TRUCK - The main attraction is a 53-foot museum truck with an innovative interior featuring more than 1,000 square feet of interactive digital displays, original video content, one-of-a-kind historical memorabilia, unique photo moments and a social media wall. Customized to each market, the Museum Truck will showcase the history of each host club.
· ENTERTAINMENT TRUCK - A second 53-foot trailer will host a giant video screen featuring team trivia and highlights, as well as a pop-out stage for special appearances and viewing parties.
· THE "RINK" - A pop-up ball hockey rink will give youth hockey players a chance to shine with programmed games and clinics.
· CLEAR THE ICE ZAMBONI® VR EXPERIENCE - This never-before-seen VR experience allows fans to compete against each other in a race to resurface the ice. Fans will take a seat in a mini-Zamboni® ice resurfacer, feel cool air on their skin and their seat rumble as they are tasked with creating the perfect sheet of ice - in virtual reality. All races will be timed and shared on a leaderboard.
· STANLEY CUP® - The oldest and most revered trophy in all professional sports will make a special appearance in every NHL market.
· RSVP PROGRAM - Fans attending the NHL Centennial Fan Arena in their local market can RSVP at NHL.com/FanArena in advance of the event to receive up-to-the-minute notifications for their market, including dates, times, locations, events, special appearances and more. Plus, fans will receive NHL event information and exclusive pre-sale offers, discount offers to Shop.NHL.com, news from their favorite team and around the League, and other information and content.
· HOCKEY IS FOR EVERYONE - NHL clubs will actively reach out in their respective communities to bring diverse audiences to the NHL Centennial Fan Arena, to further a positive connection between these groups and the game of hockey.
· RECYCLE THE GAME INITIATIVE - A special net will be available on-site at the NHL Centennial Fan Arena in each NHL market where fans can donate used hockey equipment. This continues the NHL's League-wide commitment to improve hockey's environmental footprint while supporting youth hockey, particularly in underserved communities.
· NHL CENTENNIAL FAN ARENA CALENDAR - The NHL Centennial Fan Arena will visit the following NHL markets from January - April. Dates for the remaining NHL clubs will be announced as they are confirmed. Details regarding specific events in each respective market will be available at NHL.com/100.
- o Dec. 31 - Jan. 1: Toronto (2017 Scotiabank NHL Centennial Classic™)
- o Jan. 7-8: Arizona
- o Jan. 12-14: Dallas
- o Jan. 18-19: San Jose
- o Jan. 21-23: Anaheim
- o Jan. 26-29: Los Angeles (2017 Honda NHL® All-Star)
- o Feb. 3-5: St. Louis
- o Feb. 11-12: Nashville
- o Feb. 18: Kenora, ON (Scotiabank Hockey Day in Canada)
- o Feb. 24-25: Pittsburgh
- o March 3-4: Florida
- o March 10-11: Colorado
- o March 16-19: Ottawa
- o March 25-26: New Jersey
- o April 8-9: Philadelphia
· WHAT NHL ICON AND CENTENNIAL AMBASSADOR WAYNE GRETZKY IS SAYING ABOUT THE NHL CENTENNIAL FAN ARENA - "The truck is like a moving, mini Hall of Fame. I truly enjoyed my time in there and think kids and fans and players are going to enjoy the tours that they get through the truck. I learned something really new going through the truck. You used to be able to get four assists on a goal. I know a lot about the game of hockey and I didn't know that until today. I wish that was around in the '80s. Don't change the rule for (Jaromir) Jagr now!"
ColoradoAvalanche.com contributed to this story