The NHL Scouting Combine will be in town next week, and with it comes some pretty cool events for fans to check out around KeyBank Center and HarborCenter.
Here's what you need to know.
First, some game action
Ryan O'Reilly took home the silver medal at the 2017 IIHF World Championship this weekend. Team Canada lost in a shootout on Sunday to Sweden 2-1 in the gold medal game. O'Reilly scored the game-tying goal early in the third period, following up on his stellar play in the Semifinals, where he scored that game's winning goal.
Here are the highlights from Sunday:
In 10 games, O'Reilly finished with nine points (6+3), and the highest goal total of his career in an international tournament. He led all Canadian forwards in ice time in each of the last two games.
Jack Eichel and Team USA were eliminated by Finland in the Quarterfinals on Thursday while Zemgus Girgensons and Team Latvia did not advance past the preliminary round. Goaltending prospect Cal Petersen served as the United States' third goaltender and did not see any game action.
The NHL Fan Centennial Arena is coming
So this will be pretty cool. Be sure to stop by Tops Alumni Plaza at KeyBank Center on June 2 and 3 for the NHL Fan Centennial Arena. The event is free and open to all ages.
In addition to the Top Prospects public event on Friday and the Stanley Cup® appearance, fans will experience the following all weekend long:
• MUSEUM TRUCK - The main attraction is a 53-foot museum truck with an innovative interior featuring more than 1,000 square feet of interactive digital displays, original video content, one-of-a-kind historical memorabilia, unique photo moments and a social media wall. Customized to each market, the Museum Truck will showcase the history of the NHL and Buffalo Sabres.
• VIDEO TRUCK - A second 53-foot trailer with a giant video screen will feature team highlights, all-access programming, and as well as a pop-out stage for special appearances.
• THE "RINK" - A pop-up ball hockey rink will give youth hockey players a chance to shine.
• CLEAR THE ICE ZAMBONI® VR EXPERIENCE - This never-before-seen VR experience allows fans to compete against each other in a race to resurface the ice. Fans will take a seat in a mini Zamboni® ice resurfacer and feel their seat rumble before being tasked with creating the perfect sheet of ice.
• RECYCLE THE GAME - A special net will be on-site for fans to donate gently used hockey equipment. The equipment will be up-cycled back into the community, continuing the League-wide commitment to improve hockey's environmental footprint while supporting youth hockey.
Check out the schedule of events:
Friday, June 2, 2017
10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. - NHL Centennial Fan Arena (Tops Alumni Plaza at KeyBank Center)
10:00 a.m. - Noon - The Instigators Live Broadcast
11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. - Stanley Cup® Appearance
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Top Prospects Public Event (Video Truck stage), featuring:
Nolan Patrick, Brandon Wheat Kings (Winnipeg, MB); Nico Hischier, Halifax Mooseheads (Naters, Switzerland); Casey Mittelstadt, Eden Prairie High School (Edina, Minnesota); Gabriel Vilardi, Windsor Spitfires (Kingston, ON); Michael Rasmussen, Tri-City Americans (Surrey, B.C.)
Saturday, June 3, 2017
10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. - NHL Centennial Fan Arena (Tops Alumni Plaza at KeyBank Center)
11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Stanley Cup® Appearance
We'll have full Scouting Combine coverage for you next week, starting with a preview in Monday's edition of Sharpen Up.
Please visit NHL.com/FanArena for more information as well as event reminder notifications including updates on dates, times, locations, events, special appearances and more.
If you missed Lauren Hall's 20 rapid-fire questions with Jason Botterill last week, check it out here:
Video: 20 Questions with Jason Botterill
We'll be back on Monday with a fresh edition of Sharpen Up.