Skip to Main Content
Summer with Stanley

Dunn eats cereal out of Stanley Cup, brings trophy to Ontario hospitals

Blues defenseman honored with parade in hometown

by Mike Zeisberger @Zeisberger / Staff Writer

LINDSAY, Ontario -- Vince Dunn dumped Cheerios into the top of the Stanley Cup, poured on some milk and began crunching.

The meal Saturday morning was admittedly one of the most satisfying the St. Louis Blues defenseman has ever enjoyed.

The task of chewing remains difficult at times for Dunn, who sustained a facial injury in the first period of Game 3 of the Western Conference Final against the San Jose Sharks on May 15, when he was hit in the jaw by a shot from Sharks defenseman Brenden Dillon. He missed six Stanley Cup Playoff games before he returned for Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Boston Bruins with wires and "a whole lot of other stuff" in his mouth.


[RELATED: Complete Summer with Stanley coverage]


"It's been about two months and eating certain things can still be tough," Dunn said while cradling the Cup. "But holding this, it was all worth it. It was so, so worth it."

Dunn's day with the Cup began with a special cereal breakfast in Lindsay, where he grew up and played minor hockey. Then came a parade down Kent Street, which was lined with cheering fans and awestruck kids. The chance to see the Cup was special for the town of 20,354, which is 80 miles northeast of Toronto.

"It was amazing to see the support from the business owners, residents, everyone," he said. "It's a day I'll never forget."

Video: Dunn visits hospital patient in Lindsay, Ontario

Neither will Lawny Woodcock, who was caught off guard when Dunn and the Cup entered his room at Ross Memorial Hospital. Woodcock, an acquaintance of Dunn family friend Michelle Sanderson, was diagnosed with colon cancer four months ago and was left teary-eyed after the surprise visit from the Blues defensemen.

The next stop was the Lindsay Recreation Complex, where fans posed with Dunn and the Cup for about three hours. A display in the foyer featuring his St. Louis jersey paid tribute to Dunn and the Blues.

"It was just a way of sharing the experience with the people here," the 22-year-old said. "I spent a lot of time in this place growing up."

Dunn's hectic day didn't end there. Once the Cup was packed up, Dunn brought it with him to Toronto for a visit to The Hospital for Sick Children. 

"I can't tell you why I was there, but I spent some time there when I was a baby," he said. "I understand the importance of what they do there.

"It's important to give the kids there a reason to smile."

Video courtesy of the St. Louis Blues

View More

The NHL has updated its Privacy Policy effective January 16, 2020. We encourage you to review it carefully.

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.