VEGAS (July 15, 2017) - Vegas Golden Knights General Manager George McPhee announced today, July 15, that the team has signed all three first-round draft picks from their 2017 NHL Entry Draft class. Forward Cody Glass, forward Nick Suzuki and defenseman Erik Brannstrom all signed three-year, entry-level contracts.
The Golden Knights selected Glass sixth overall, Suzuki 13th overall and Brannstrom 15th overall during the 2017 NHL Entry Draft. All three participated in the team's inaugural Development Camp, which was held in Las Vegas from June 27 - July 1.
"This is an exciting announcement for the Golden Knights organization as we signed three of our top prospects," said Vegas Golden Knights General Manager George McPhee. "Cody, Nick and Erik have demonstrated exceptional skill and hockey sense playing at their current levels. We will look for these players to continue to exhibit the hard work necessary to further their development and continue their positive career trajectories."
Cody Glass, Forward
Hometown: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Weight: 178 lbs.
Drafted from: Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
Final North American Skater Rank (via NHL Central Scouting): 6
- Led Winterhawks in points in 2016-17 season with 94 (32 G, 62 A) and assists with 62 in 69 games played
- Named co-MVP of the Winterhawks in 2016-17
- Named a WHL Western Conference First Team All-Star in 2016-17
- Represented Team Canada at the 2017 Under-18 World Championship, getting 3 points (2 G, 1 A) in three games played
Nick Suzuki, Forward
Hometown: London, Ontario
Weight: 183 lbs.
Drafted from: Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
Final North American Skater Rank (via NHL Central Scouting): 10
- Had second-most points on Owen Sound in 2016-17 season with 96 (45 G, 51 A) in 65 games played
- Led Owen Sound in points during 2017 OHL Playoffs with 23 (8G, 15 A)
- Won William Hanley Trophy in 2017 as the most sportsmanlike player in OHL
- Named to 2015-16 OHL All-Rookie Team
- Represented Canada at the 2016 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, getting three points (1 G, 2 A) in four games
Erik Brannstrom, Defenseman
Hometown: Eksjo, Sweden
Weight: 179 lbs.
Drafted from: HV 71 (Swedish Hockey League)
Final European Skater Rank (via NHL Central Scouting): 9
- Had six points (1 G, 5 A) in 35 games played with HV 71 in 2016-17 season
- Helped HV 71 win Le Mat trophy as SHL league champion
- Had 30 points (8 G, 22 A) in 41 games played with HV 71's junior team in 2015-16
- Won a silver medal with Sweden at the 2016 World Under-18 Championship
- Represented Sweden twice at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament
- Models his play after Philadelphia Flyers defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere, per NHL Central Scouting
ABOUT THE VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS
The Vegas Golden Knights are a National Hockey League franchise owned and operated by Black Knight Sports and Entertainment LLC. The Vegas Golden Knights were established by founding partners William Foley and his family and the Maloof family. For the latest news and information on the Golden Knights visit vegasgoldenknights.com. Fans can follow the team on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.