Flyers sign Joel Farabee to six year contract extension
Flyers leading goal scorer in 2020-21 inks multi-year deal worth $5.0M annuallyby Philadelphia Flyers @NHLFlyers / philadelphiaflyers.com
The Philadelphia Flyers have signed forward Joel Farabee to a six-year contract extension worth an average annual value (AAV) of $5.0M, according to President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Chuck Fletcher.
The contract will go into effect beginning with the 2022-23 season.
"We consider Joel to be a key piece of our core moving forward and we're very happy to have him signed to a long-term extension," said President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Chuck Fletcher. "In a short amount of time, Joel has proven to be one of the brightest young talents in the NHL. His hockey IQ, skill set, and passion for the game have all contributed to his early success and we feel that there is tremendous upside to his game yet. He plays a 200 foot game and has earned the trust and respect of his coaches, management, and all of his teammates."
POSITION: Left Wing
DRAFTED: 2018 - 1st Round (14th overall) by FLYERS
AGE: 21 (2-25-2000)
BORN: Cicero, New York
VITALS: 6'0", 183 lbs
* The contract will take effect for the 2022-23 season and run through the 2027-28 season.
* Last season, 2020-21, was his second season in the NHL... He posted 38 points (20g-18a) in 55 regular season games, missing only one game due to COVID protocol.
* His 20 goals led Flyers in scoring and he became the second youngest Flyer (Eric Lindros) to lead the team in goal-scoring in a single season.
* He also scored 12 more goals than he scored in all of 2019-20, his rookie season (8) in 52 games, while his 38 points were 17 more than he had as a rookie (21).
* Of his 20 goals, 17 came at even-strength, which also led the team and finished Top-15 among all NHL players.
* He won the 2020-21 Pelle Lindbergh Memorial Trophy as the "Most Improved" player in a vote by his teammates.
* Farabee has a total of 59 points (28g-31a) in 107 regular season games in parts of two seasons... He has an additional five points (3g-2a) in 12 Stanley Cup Playoff games.
* His 28 goals ranks third among all players in his draft class (2018), while his 31 assists and 59 points rank sixth.
* Internationally, Farabee has represented the United States on several occasions... He helped the U.S. win a silver medal at the 2019 World Junior Championships, a silver medal at the 2018 U-18 Championships and a gold medal at the 2017 U-18 Championships.
* Farabee signed his three-year, entry-level contract with the Flyers on March 25, 2019... He was the first player to be born in the 2000's to appear in a game for the Flyers with his NHL debut on Oct. 10, 2019.
* Prior to joining the Flyers, Farabee spent one season at Boston University where he led the team in nearly every offensive category, including goals (17), assists (19) and overall points (36) in 37 games played... He was named the 2018-19 Hockey East Rookie of the Year.