The LA Kings will host "Bob Miller Appreciation Day" at STAPLES Center on Saturday, April 8, as the Hockey Hall of Fame and Kings television play-by-play broadcaster officially concludes his legendary broadcasting career.
The unique event will recognize Miller's 44-year career as the "Voice of the Kings" as he calls two more Kings games on FOX Sports West - April 8 at home against the Chicago Blackhawks (3 p.m.) and April 9 at Anaheim against the Ducks (5:30 p.m.).
"As far as any of us can remember, Bob Miller has been the Voice of the LA Kings and we are looking forward to honoring Bob and his many, many great contributions to our club and to our sport," said Kings President, Business Operations Luc Robitaille. "This is a chance for our tremendous fans and the Kings organization itself to give back to Bob and his family. Watching a Kings game will never be the same after these two games but we are thrilled that Bob gets to go out on top."
Among the expected highlights on April 8:
- The entire day will be dedicated to Bob Miller.
- A pregame Fan Fest takes place outside STAPLES Center from 1-3 p.m. and fans there can sign a special 20-foot Signature Wall and leave personal messages.
- From now until April 8, fans are encouraged to submit their favorite photos and/or messages via social media using hashtag #ThankYouBob, some of which will be featured in-arena throughout the game.
- Two special Bob Miller logos have been unveiled and the "Thank You Bob" logo will be etched into the ice behind both goal nets.
- During warm-ups, all Kings players will wear jerseys with "Bob/44" on the back. The jerseys will be auctioned off during the game by the Kings Care Foundation.
- T-shirts presented by FOX Sports West will be given away to all fans in attendance, and each fan in attendance will receive a "Thank You Bob" cheer card presented by FOX Sports West. The backside of the card includes a special letter from Bob.
- Multiple interior and exterior - including the large City View Terrace Banner - atmosphere and décor elements will be changed out to honor Bob.
- Several testimonial videos will run throughout the game and special Bob Miller tribute videos will run in-arena to start the game, to start the third period, and midway through the third period.
- For the first time in his career, Bob will participate in the Kings players annual "Jerseys Off Their Back" ceremony at the end of the games with the winner of the Bob Miller sweater being decided by a special "Jerseys Off Their Back" sweepstakes.
- Bob will address the crowd at center ice upon the conclusion of the "Jerseys Off the Back" event.
In addition, during the second intermission on April 8, a group of 20 contestants will participate in a "game of chance" for the opportunity to win a 2017 Toyota Tacoma. These 20 contestants earned the opportunity by competing and qualifying in an intermission contest at a game earlier in the regular season. This is a continuation of an annual contest proudly presented by Toyota.
"Fan Appreciation Night" -- originally scheduled for April 8 -- will now take place on April 6.