The Philadelphia Flyers have re-signed defenseman Justin Braun to a two-year contract extension worth an average annual value (AAV) of $1.8M, according to President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Chuck Fletcher. The contract will run through the 2021-22 season.
Below are notes on Braun & his career:
DRAFTED: 2007 - 7th Round (201st overall) by San Jose Sharks
AGE: 33 (2-10-1987)
BORN: Minneapolis, MN
VITALS: 6'2", 205 pounds
* Braun recently completed his first season with the Flyers after being acquired in a trade from the San Jose Sharks on June 18, 2019.
* He recorded 19 points (3g-16a) and averaged 17:16 of ice time in 62 regular season games for the Flyers and added two assists in 16 Stanley Cup Playoff games in the Toronto bubble.
* He tied for second on the Flyers in blocked shots (84) during the regular season and third with 29 blocks during the playoffs.
* Braun recorded all three of his goals, 14 of his 19 points and recorded a plus-minus rating of +12 in his final 29 games of the season.
* Braun will enter his 11th season in the NHL, having appeared in 669 games in his previous 10 seasons, nine of which were with the San Jose Sharks.
* He has a total of 173 points (27g-146a) regular season points and 15 points (3g-12a) in 100 Stanley Cup playoff games.
* He was acquired by the Flyers in exchange for Philadelphia's own second round pick in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft (41st overall) and 3rd round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft.
* Prior to turning professional, Braun spent four season at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst where he played in 150 games and recorded 88 points on the blueline (23g-65a)... He was named Hockey East All-Rookie Team (2007), Hockey East Second All-Star Team (2009), Hockey East First All-Star Team (2010) and NCAA East Second All-American Team (2010).