VEGAS (January 10, 2019) - Vegas Golden Knights General Manager Kelly McCrimmon announced today, January 10, the following roster transaction: the team has assigned forward Nicolas Roy to the American Hockey League's Chicago Wolves and recalled forward Keegan Kolesar from the Wolves.
Roy made his Golden Knights debut against Anaheim on October 27 and scored the first goal of his NHL career against the Ducks. He has appeared in 11 games with Vegas this season and has tallied five points (2 G, 3 A). This season with the Wolves, he has appeared in 22 games and has recorded 16 points (6 G, 10 A) to go with 10 penalty minutes. Last season with the AHL's Charlotte Checkers, Roy finished with 36 points (17 G, 19 A) to go with 28 penalty minutes in 69 games and ranked third on the team with five game-winning goals. He also appeared in 19 Calder Cup playoff games for the Checkers and helped lead the team to a Calder Cup championship.
The native of Amos, Quebec was acquired by the Golden Knights along with a conditional fifth round draft pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft from Carolina in exchange for forward Erik Haula.
Kolesar has appeared in 23 games with the Wolves this season and has recorded eight points (0 G, 8 A) to go with 10 penalty minutes. Last year with Chicago, he helped the Wolves reach the Calder Cup Final after recording 11 points (6 G, 5 A) to go with 48 penalty minutes in 21 playoff games. During the 2018-19 regular season, the Brandon, Manitoba native finished with 36 points (20 G, 16 A) to go with 90 penalty minutes in 74 games and his 20 goals ranked tied for third on the team.
Kolesar was acquired by the Golden Knights from the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for a second-round selection (45th overall) during the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.
Nicolas Roy, Forward
Birthplace: Amos, QC, Canada
Weight: 200 lbs.
Draft: Selected by Carolina Hurricanes in the fourth round (96th overall) in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft
- Made Golden Knights debut against Anaheim (Oct. 27) and scored his first career NHL goal
- Finished the 2018-19 season with the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League with 36 points (17 G, 19 A) to go with 28 penalty minutes in 69 games
- Appeared in six games with the Carolina Hurricanes during the 2018-19 season
- Helped lead the Checkers to a Calder Cup championship in 2019, finishing with 15 points (6 G, 9 A) to go with 14 penalty minutes in 19 games, which tied for third on the team in scoring
- Led the Checkers in the 2019 Calder Cup Playoffs in short-handed goals with two
- Collected 38 points (11 G, 27 A) in 70 games for the Checkers in 2017-18 season
Keegan Kolesar, Forward
Hometown: Brandon, Manitoba
Weight: 227 lbs.
Draft: Selected by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the third round (69th overall) of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft
- Has recorded eight points (0 G, 8 A) to go with 10 penalty minutes in 23 games this season with the AHL's Chicago Wolves
- Collected 36 points (20 G, 16 A) in 74 games for the Wolves during the 2018-19 regular season
- Finished with 11 points (6 G, 5 A) to go with 48 penalty minutes in 21 playoff games and helped lead the Wolves to the 2019 Calder Cup Final
- Won the Ed Chynoweth Cup during the 2016-17 season with the WHL's Seattle Thunderbirds and helped lead the team to a Memorial Cup appearance