The Philadelphia Flyers announced today they have signed defenseman Cam York, the club's first-round pick (14th overall) in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, to a three-year entry-level contract that will begin this season.
The announcement comes from President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Chuck Fletcher.
"We are pleased with Cam's development and believe he is ready to take the next step with our organization," said Fletcher. "He was one of the top collegiate defensemen at the University of Michigan and was instrumental in helping lead the United States to the gold medal at this year's World Junior Championships."
Below are news & notes on York:
PREVIOUS TEAM: University of Michigan (Big Ten - NCAA)
DRAFTED: 2019 (1st Round, 14th Overall - FLYERS)
AGE: 20 (1-5-2001)
BORN: Anaheim, CA
VITALS: 5'11", 185 pounds
* York led Team USA as captain to the gold medal at the 2021 World Junior Championships where he recorded six points (1g-5a) and a +4 rating in seven games of the tournament.
* He logged over 20-minutes of ice time in the gold medal game where the USA shut out Canada, 2-0.
* He recently completed his second year at the University of Michigan, where he posted 20 points (4g-16a) in 24 games to go along with a +14 rating.
* His 20 points led the Wolverine's defense and T-5th among all defensemen in the NCAA.
* He was named to First Team All-Big 10, and the Big 10 Defenseman of the Year this past season.
* As a rookie in 2019-20, York recorded 16 points (5g-11a) in 30 games which led all Big-10 defensemen and T-9th in the NCAA ranks… He also had a +9 rating and had seven of his 16 points on the team's power play (2ppg-5ppa).
* Prior to getting drafted, he spent one season with the U.S. National Team Development Program (USNTDP), and led all defensemen by averaging over a point per-game - 65 points (14g-51a) in 63 games… He also led all players on the team with a +56 rating in 63 games.
* He has represented the USA several other times - winning a bronze in the 2019 U-18 Tournament and silver in the 2018 U-18 tournament.
* York is now the second member of the Flyers' 2019 draft class to sign an entry-level contract, joining Mason Millman (4th Round, 103rd overall).