VANCOUVER, B.C. - The Vancouver Canucks will induct Alex Burrows into the Ring of Honour prior to their December 3rd game against the Ottawa Senators. One of the most storied players in club history, affectionately known as "Burr," will take his place next to Canucks' legends Orland Kurtenbach, Kirk McLean, Thomas Gradin, Harold Snepsts, Mattias Ohlund and Pat Quinn.
Burrows was a fan favourite for his impassioned play and for scoring some of the biggest goals in franchise history, including the game 7 "Slay the Dragon" series-winner over Chicago in 2011. Undrafted, Burrows worked through the ranks of the ECHL and AHL before signing as a free agent with Vancouver on November 8, 2005. Playing on a storied line with the Sedins for much of his career, Burrows would go on to play 913 NHL games over the course of 13 seasons with the Vancouver Canucks and Ottawa Senators, accumulating 409 points (205-204-409).
Here are the top five things fans need to know ahead of Tuesday's game, presented by Panago:
- PRE-GAME CEREMONY: Doors open early at 5:30 and fans are encouraged to be in their seats by 6:45pm. There will be a pre-game on-ice ceremony that will include a tribute video, the unveiling of Burrows' Ring of Honour installation and a speech from Burrows himself.
- 10,000 BURROWS BOBBLEHEADS: The first 10,000 fans through the gates will receive a commemorative Alex Burrows bobblehead, courtesy of Panago. Burrows will sign 60 of the 10,000 bobbleheads, and those 60 will be randomly handed out to lucky fans as they enter the arena. Every fan in attendance will receive an Alex Burrows themed gameday magazine.
- BURROWS JERSEYS: Players will be wearing Alex Burrows jerseys during pre-game warm-up. Each jersey will be autographed by Burrows and have a commemorative patch that lists the date and which Canucks player wore the jersey in warmup. Fans can purchase jerseys on VanBase.ca and at the in-game silent auction location. There will also be special "Slay the Dragon" shirts for sale in the team store. Additionally, fans will be able to buy the Alex Burrows bobblehead if they missed out at the gate.
- BURROWS MEMORIES: Download the official Vancouver Canucks App to view our Alex Burrows tribute page celebrating his greatest moments and biggest goals as a Canuck. Fans are invited to open the Canucks app and select augmented reality from the menu - then point your phone camera at the cover of the gameday magazine, and it will come to life with highlights and a special message from Burrows. The Canucks will also be keeping fans informed and entertained all night on their social media channels.
- BURROWS ARCHIVES & HISTORY: Be sure to stop by the Forever a Canuck exhibit in section 121 to relive some of Alex Burrows' greatest moments, games, goals, hits and more! Fans are encouraged to head to the Toyota Plaza pre-game to sign and take photos with the Alex Burrows tribute wall.
ABOUT ALEX BURROWS
Burrows ranks eighth in franchise history for most game-winners (28). He added another three game-winners in the postseason (tied for 7th most in Canucks history), including the game 7 series-winner over Chicago in 2011. The Montreal native ranks sixth on the team's all-time history list for games played (822), eighth in game-winning goals (28), ninth for goals (193), and 14th for points (384). Over the course of his Canucks career he was also named as the Canucks "Most Exciting Player" three times (2008, 2009 and 2010) and earned the Fred J. Hume award as the team's "Unsung Hero" in 2008.
ABOUT THE RING OF HONOUR
The Canucks Ring of Honour was launched in the 2010-11 season to celebrate Canucks heroes who have made a lasting impact on the franchise.
Burrows becomes the seventh member of the Canucks Ring of Honour joining Orland Kurtenbach, Kirk McLean, Thomas Gradin, Harold Snepsts, Pat Quinn and Mattias Ohlund.
Video: Introducing the Alex Burrows Bobblehead