CANUCKS VS CAPITALS PREVIEW
The Vancouver Canucks face off against the Washington Capitals for the first of two meetings this season. The Canucks will visit Washington on Jan. 9. Vancouver is 4-5-0 in their last 10 games against Washington (1-4-0 in their last 5).
They are 3-1-1 versus teams from the Eastern Conference to date. Tonight's game is the first of a 5-game homestand that sees visits from Dallas (Oct. 30), New Jersey (Nov. 1), Pittsburgh (Nov. 4) and Detroit (Nov. 6).
The Canucks recently finished their first road trip of the season posting a record of 4-1-0 in those games.
VS CAPITALS NOTES
• Thomas Vanek has 26 points (11-15-26) in 38 career games versus Washington.
• Henrik Sedin has 14 points (3-11-14) in 19 career games versus the Capitals.
• Daniel Sedin has 13 points (7-6-13) in 18 career games versus Washington.
• Alex Burmistrov made his NHL debut on Oct. 8/10 vs WSH. His career-high for most goals in a game (2) came on Mar. 31/17 vs WSH.
• Sam Gagner registered his 400th career point on Apr. 2/17
vs WSH. LAST GAME: OCT. 24:
VAN 1 at MIN 0 Jake Virtanen scored the game's lone goal (unassisted) at 10:07 of the third period to extend his point streak to 3 games (2-1- 3)...Anders Nilsson made 29 saves to record his second shutout of the season...Michael Del Zotto had a game and season-high 6 blocked shots while Chris Tanev recorded 4 including a blocked shot with 15 seconds remaining in the third period. According to Elias Sports Bureau, before this game, the last and only time in club history the Canucks had a regular season, non- shootout 1-0 win in which the lone goal was unassisted occurred on Feb. 16/04.
QUICK HITS (Through Oct. 24)
• Brock Boeser ranks tied for 9th in rookie goals (2) and tied for 7th in rookie points (6). He also ranks tied for ninth among rookies in points per game (0.86).
• Bo Horvat ranks t-8th in the League in faceoff wins (103).
• Michael Del Zotto leads the team and ranks tied for 10th in the League in blocked shots with 21. He also leads the team and ranks 19th in the League with 24:24 TOI/game.
• Derek Dorsett leads the team in goals (5), hits (19) and penalty minutes (44) and is tied for the lead in points (6).
• The Canucks rank t-11th in faceoff win percentage at 51.8%.
• The Canucks rank t-2nd for most points on the road this season (8).
• The Canucks are tied for the 10th best record over the past 10 games (5-3-1).
• The Canucks have killed off 9 straight penalties.
• According to Elias Sports Bureau, with his second shutout in his third game of the season, Anders Nilsson became the latest goalie to record two shutouts over his first three games with a team since Michael Neuvirth recorded shutouts in his second and third appearances with the Flyers on Oct.12-14/15.
• With his third career shutout on Oct. 17 at OTT, Anders Nilsson became the third Canucks goaltender to post a shutout in his Canucks debut (joining Mike Fountain (1993) and Johan Hedberg (2003)). He also became the first Canucks goaltender to earn a shutout at Ottawa since Kay Whitmore on Apr. 4/93.
• With his 3 point performance on Oct. 20 at BUF, Derek Dorsett tied a career-high for both goals (2) and points (3) in a game. His first goal shorthanded was the 4th such goal of his career.
• Chris Tanev's goal on Oct. 12 vs WPG and Oct. 10 vs OTT marked the first time in his career he has scored in consecutive games.
• With his 68th shootout attempt on Oct. 10 vs OTT, Thomas Vanek moved to 24th all-time in NHL history in shootout attempts. His 28 shootout goals ranks him t-19th in NHL history.
THE GOING RATE
• Jake Virtanen has 3 points (2-1-3) over the past 3 games including goals in back-to-back games for the first time in his NHL career. He scored in 3 straight last season with Utica from Dec. 7-10.
• Brock Boeser has 5 points (2-4-6) over 7 games played.
• Michael Del Zotto recorded at least an assist in 4 straight games from Oct. 17-22: 5 assists, which tied a career high (Dec. 5-11/11: 5 assists).
• Derek Dorsett has 5 goals over the past 6 games. This included a 3-goal scoring streak, the longest goal scoring streak of his career, from Oct.19-22.
• Alex Burmistrov has 4 points (1-3-4) over the past 6 games.