CANUCKS VS STARS PREVIEW:
The Vancouver Canucks face off against the Dallas Stars for the first of three meetings this season. The Canucks will visit Dallas on Feb. 11 and Mar. 25.
Vancouver is 2-5-3 in their last 10 games against Dallas (1-4-0 in their last 5). They are 4-1-1 versus teams from the Eastern Conference to date.
Tonight's game is the second of a 5-game homestand that will conclude with visits from New Jersey (Nov. 1), Pittsburgh (Nov. 4) and Detroit (Nov. 6). The Canucks recently finished their first road trip of the season posting a record of 4-1-0 in those games.
VS STARS NOTES:
Thomas Vanek has 27 points (12-15-27) in 39 career games versus Dallas.
Henrik Sedin has 14 points (3-11-14) in 20 career games versus the Capitals.
Daniel Sedin has 13 points (7-6-13) in 19 career games versus Dallas.
Sam Gagner recorded his 200th career assist against Dallas on Nov. 20/14.
Henrik Sedin collected his 100th career point versus the Stars on Mar. 25/03.
Troy Stecher notched his first career goal against Dallas on Nov. 13/16.
Chris Tanev registered his first career assist on Jan. 24/11 against Dallas.
LAST GAME: OCT. 26: VAN 6 vs WSH 2
Thomas Vanek opened scoring at 12:53 in the first period...The Canucks scored three power play goals (Horvat and Baertschi - 2) for the first time since Nov. 21/15 vs TOR...Markus Granlund and Derek Dorsett also notched goals for the Canucks...Both Sven Baertschi and Alexander Burmistrov collected their 100th NHL point...Brock Boeser established a career high for most assists/points in a game with 3...The game marked the first time the Canucks have scored 6 goals in a game since Nov. 21/15 vs TOR
QUICK HITS (Through Oct. 28):
- Brock Boeser ranks tied for 10th in rookie goals (2) and tied for 5th in rookie points (9). He also ranks second among rookies in points per game (1.13).
- Bo Horvat ranks t-12th in the League in faceoff wins (113).
- Michael Del Zotto leads the team and ranks tied for 19th in the League in blocked shots with 24. He also leads the team and ranks 20th in the League with 24:35 TOI/game.
- Derek Dorsett leads the team in goals (6), hits (23) and penalty minutes (44) and is tied for second in points (8). He ranks second in the League for best shooting percentage (37.5%).
- The Canucks rank 9th in faceoff win percentage at 52.2%.
- The Canucks are tied for the 8th best record over the past 10 games (6-3-1).
- The Canucks have killed off 12 straight penalties.
- According to Elias Sports Bureau, with his second shutout in his third game of the season, Anders Nilsson became the latest goalie to record two shutouts over his first three games with a team since Michael Neuvirth recorded shutouts in his second and third appearances with the Flyers on Oct.12-14/15.
- With his third career shutout on Oct. 17 at OTT, Anders Nilsson became the third Canucks goaltender to post a shutout in his Canucks debut (joining Mike Fountain (1993) and Johan Hedberg (2003)). He also became the first Canucks goaltender to earn a shutout at Ottawa since Kay Whitmore on Apr. 4/93.
- With his 3 point performance on Oct. 20 at BUF, Derek Dorsett tied a career-high for both goals (2) and points (3) in a game. His first goal shorthanded was the 4th such goal of his career.
- Chris Tanev's goal on Oct. 12 vs WPG and Oct. 10 vs OTT marked the first time in his career he has scored in consecutive games.
- With his 68th shootout attempt on Oct. 10 vs OTT, Thomas Vanek moved to 24th all-time in NHL history in shootout attempts. His 28 shootout goals ranks him t-19th in NHL history.
THE GOING RATE:
- Jake Virtanen has 3 points (2-1-3) over the past 4 games including goals in back-to-back games for the first time in his NHL career. He scored in 3 straight last season with Utica from Dec. 7-10.
- Brock Boeser has 8 points (2-7-9) over 8 games played, which included a career high three assists/points on Oct. 26 vs WSH.
- Michael Del Zotto recorded at least an assist in 4 straight games from Oct. 17-22: 5 assists, which tied a career high (Dec. 5-11/11: 5 assists).
- Derek Dorsett has 6 goals over the past 7 games. This included a 3-goal scoring streak, the longest goal scoring streak of his career, from Oct.19-22.
- Alex Burmistrov has 5 points (1-4-5) over the past 7 games.