The 2016-17 Grant Cycle is now closed.
New for 2016-17
- The Sharks Foundation will be increasing the grant funding range to $30,000-$50,000.
- The Sharks Foundation will only accept ONLINE applications for the 2016-17 grant cycle- we will NOT accept paper documents. Please follow the steps below before beginning the online application.
Grant Application Instructions
Step 1: Carefully review the 2016-17 Grant Cycle Packet
Step 2: Complete the 2016-17 Grant Cycle Worksheet
Please note this worksheet is only to be used as an aid for completing the online application- do not submit this worksheet to the Sharks Foundation.
Step 3: Submit your 2016-17 Grant Application
Once you begin the online application, your work cannot be saved. We recommend reviewing the Grant Cycle Packet carefully and completing the Grant Cycle Worksheet before beginning this step.
The Sharks Foundation provides $30,000-$50,000 grants for organizations that support youth or youth and their families, with special emphasis toward underserved populations and at-risk youth. Each grant must fall into one of our focus areas of giving: education, health & safety, or character development. Funding must be applied to the costs associated with a specific project or programming element of an organization.
The Sharks Foundation will NOT support:
- General operating deficits
- Administrative staff costs (i.e. administrative salaries, training events, etc.)
- Sponsorships or fundraisers of any kind (i.e. walks/runs, galas, tournaments, etc.)
- Recreational group outings or trips (i.e. sporting events, museums, amusement parks, etc.)
- Capital campaigns or building improvement projects
- Endowments or reserve funds
- Grants to individuals, athletic teams or schools or any associated 501(c)(3) organizations (i.e. PTAs, booster clubs, etc.)
Organization Eligibility - to qualify for a grant an organization must:
- Be a public 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization in good standing with the Internal Revenue Service for a minimum of five (5) years
- Provide services to children in need within Santa Clara County
- Be available for a site visit if selected as a beneficiary
- Adhere to all deadlines and application requirements
Note: The Sharks Foundation will not fund any organization for more than three (3) consecutive years. If your group has been funded for each of the past three seasons, you must wait one year before reapplying.
Grant Eligibility - to qualify for a grant an application must:
- Be within the range of $30,000 to $50,000
- Fall under one of the focus areas of giving: education, health & safety, or character development
- Ensure that 100% of grant monies received from the Sharks Foundation are used for the exclusive benefit of youth or youth and their families
- Ensure that a majority of monies used (51% or more) are used for the exclusive benefit of children in Santa Clara County
- Be submitted by the Friday, September 2, 2016, 5:00 p.m. deadline
Note: Each organization is able to submit one (1) grant application per season.
Timeline for the 2016-17 Grant Process:
- Friday, September 2, 2016: Deadline to submit applications
- September - December 2016: Review process
- December 2016: Beneficiaries announced, all applicants notified of status
- December 2016 - February 2017: Funds dispersed, check presentation
- January - August 2017: Site visits scheduled
All applicants must submit their online application at sjsharks.com/grantapplication by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, September 2, 2016. Paper applications will NOT be accepted.
Once the application period has closed, the Sharks Foundation staff will review and prepare all eligible applications for consideration by the Sharks Foundation Board of Directors. An application will be deemed ineligible if it is incomplete, incorrectly formatted, not submitted by the deadline, submitted by an organization that does not meet the stated criteria or if the purpose for funding falls outside of the stated priorities. All eligible applications will receive email notification of their approval status.
If you have questions regarding the application process, email email@example.com.
Please do not send inquiries on the status of a submitted application.
Sharks Foundation 2016-17 Grant FAQs
Previous Grant Recipients