Since 1999, the Sharks Foundation has been transforming outdoor blacktops at local schools, after school sites and non-profits into custom Tealtop street hockey courts, giving youth the opportunity to learn the game of hockey in a safe environment while being physically active. In addition to the court, the organization receives street hockey equipment to ensure that the children have everything they need to play hockey all year round!
The Foundation has built courts at:
To qualify for a court, your organization must meet the following guidelines:
1) Blacktop Surface:
- Large enough to accommodate a minimum 60' x 100' size court
- Surface must be in good to excellent condition on level ground (ie: no large cracks greater than 1/4", bumps, gradients; no major construction should be required)
- Cannot be a surface that vehicles drive/park on OR site is willing AND able to prevent vehicles from driving/parking on surface
- Cannot contain existing equipment (ie: basketball hoops, tetherball pole, volleyball net, etc.) OR site is willing AND able to remove existing equipment, at their cost, to accommodate space for a court
- Painted elements such as hopscotch OK, but please note that elements will be taken out; can be repainted elsewhere if requested
- Schools must serve at least 51% free/reduced lunch; centers or parks must service in-need youth and be able to provide statistics
- Must service elementary to middle school aged youth
- Cannot be located in a district with any gang affiliation to sharks or the color teal
- Location must be able to accommodate storage for donated gear and equipment
- Site must be able to be accessed for 2-3 weeks for construction of court
- Site must be able to accept the gift in place
If the location meets all guidelines, please fill out the following application for a chance to be chosen for the Blacktop Resurfacing Program.