TAMPA BAY - The Tampa Bay Lightning will host Hockey Week in Tampa Bay, a celebration of the game in the Tampa Bay community, with a multitude of events from February 9-17. The nine-day event, beginning with Hockey Day in Tampa Bay on Sunday, February 9, will showcase the Lightning's contributions to youth hockey in the Bay Area. The Lightning's Hockey Week in Tampa Bay is an extension of Hockey Week Across America, a nationwide initiative aimed at exposing the game of hockey to new audiences.
Hockey Day in Tampa Bay will kick off at 8:30 a.m. on Sunday, February 9 with a girls hockey game, followed by a showdown between a pair of youth travel teams, the Jr. Rangers, coached by Hockey Hall-of-Famer and former Lightning superstar Martin St. Louis, and the Florida Alliance inside AMALIE Arena. The full-day event will also feature a Lightning Alumni skills competition, which will feature St. Louis, as well as fellow Bolts legend Vincent Lecavalier, a sled hockey game with Lightning Alumni, the NHL/NHLPA Learn to Play Jamboree and a NHL 20 tournament which will kick off at 10 a.m. The event is expected to wrap up at 9 p.m. after the Lightning High School Hockey League Championship Game. Fans must purchase tickets in advance or day-of through My Bolts Nation for $10. All ticket proceeds will be donated to 'Because We Love the Game' to support disabled hockey programs in the state of Florida.
Throughout the week, the Lightning will open three new community ball hockey rinks as part of the Connect the Thunder Program. Monday will launch the first rink in Ruskin, followed by the grand opening of the Rowlett Park Rink, presented by Chase, on Friday. The week will finish off with the ribbon cutting of the Sadie Park Rink, presented by Florida Blue, and will feature a ball hockey tournament.
On Thursday, February 13, the Lightning's Community Hockey team will host an open house at the Lightning Made Training Center, located at 6910 Asphalt Ave. in Tampa. The open house, which starts at 10 a.m., will include a pickleball tournament, youth hockey clinics and more, followed by a Lightning watch party and open rink for fans to enjoy.
Full Hockey Week in Tampa Bay Schedule:
Sunday, Feb. 9: Hockey Day in Tampa Bay 8:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- AMALIE Arena: Parking is available at the Pam Iorio and Port Garages, as well as the Pink, Teal and Garrison lots for $5. Food and beverages will be for sale at section 112 beginning at 8 a.m. and section 109 beginning at 11:30 a.m.
Monday, Feb. 10: Ruskin Rink, Grand Opening 3 p.m.
- Ruskin Parks & Rec Center (901 6th St. SE., Ruskin, FL 33570). The event will open with a press conference, followed by three ball hockey clinics and end with a Lightning watch party.
Tuesday, Feb. 11: Try Ice Hockey for Free 5:10-6:10pm
- Power Pole Arena Home of Xtra Ice (6910 Asphalt Ave, Tampa, FL 33614): Children ages 4-12 years old are invited to Xtra Ice Tampa to try ice hockey for free. Spots are limited so please register at LightningMadeHockey.com/hwitb.
Wednesday, Feb. 12: High School Hockey Showcase
- The Lightning High School Hockey League will host a showcase game for all teams from the league heading to the State Championships. Teams and location will be determined a week prior.
Thursday, Feb. 13: Lightning Made Training Center Open House 10 a.m. - end of the Lightning game
- Lightning Made Training Center (6910 Asphalt Ave Tampa, FL 33602). The Open House will also feature a live DJ and food trucks for fans.
Friday, Feb. 14: Rowlett Park Rink, presented by Chase, Grand Opening 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Rowlett Park (2401 E. Yukon St., Tampa, FL 33604). The event will include a press conference and youth Ball Hockey Clinic. Mayor Jane Castor will be in attendance, along with current and former Lightning players.
Saturday, Feb. 15: College Hockey Day Game times are 4pm and 8pm.
- Clearwater Ice Arena (13940 Icot Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33760): Florida State university Seminoles vs The University of Tampa Spartans. Advent Health Center Ice (3173 Cypress Ridge Blvd, Wesley Chapel, FL 33544): University of Miami Hurricanes vs University of South Florida Bulls at 8pm.
Sunday, Feb. 16: Girls Hockey 3 v 3 Series 6:10-7:10pm
- Power Pole Arena Home of Xtra Ice (6910 Asphalt Ave, Tampa, FL 33614): Girls will compete in a 3 v 3 scrimmage with a variety of girls from various teams in the Tampa Bay Area. The objective is for the girls to engage in girls creativity, provide extra practice time and give the girls an opportunity to meet and play with other girl hockey players.
Monday, Feb 17: Sadie Park Rink, presented by Florida Blue, Grand Opening 8:15 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Brandon Park (502 E. Sadie St., Brandon, FL 33510). The Grand Opening will start off with a press conference, followed by a Ball Hockey Tournament and playoffs. There will be a live DJ, face painter and balloon artist for fans to enjoy.