Since apparently the Capitals like doing things for the first time in a very long time this season, let's do this again.
Per NHL Stats, Friday night's comeback win in Vancouver marked only the third time that the Capitals have overcome a 4+ goal deficit to win a game with only 21 minutes or less remaining in a game. The last time the Caps accomplished the feat was in 1986 at Hartford.
Let's take a look back at what was happening in 1986:
- Alumni favorites Rod Langway and Craig Laughlin were playing for the Caps
- The Hartford Whalers still existed (obviously)
- Wayne Gretzky won the Hart Memorial Trophy
- Top Gun was released
- The Oprah Winfrey Show debuted
- Lionel Richie, Elton John and Whitney Houston had the most popular songs of the year
- Doritos started selling the Cool Ranch Dorito
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off became a massive hit
- Lady Gaga, Drake and Usain Bolt were born
- Halley's Comet made an appearance
Thirty three years and honestly, things aren't that different. Top Gun and Ferris Bueller's Day off are stitll cult classics, Oprah Winfrey is still a star, and Cool Ranch Doritos are still popular.
Oh and this time, I wasn't born yet.