On March 3rd, John Carlson of the Washington Capitals will arrive at Navy-Marine Corps Stadium wearing a one-of-a-kind custom made garment created by bespoke clothier Tom Barnett New York. A 6-month design process, involving Carlson, a Massachusetts native and 2014 US Olympian, lead to the creation of this hand-made outfit featuring a balance of design components that pay homage to the US Naval Academy's rich football history.
"When we met with John in the fall, we set out to create something as special as the venue itself. It was important to recognize the distinction of those who have attended the Naval Academy. Much of the inspiration reflects the era of Heisman Trophy winner Roger Staubach '65. This is one of the most worthwhile projects we have ever had the privilege to work on. We hope that current Midshipmen, alumni, fans of football and hockey alike, enjoy this tribute," says designer and founder of Tom Barnett New York, Tom Barnett.
Though aspects of Navy's football uniforms have evolved over time, their navy top and gold pants have defined their gridiron presence. Carlson's outfit pays tribute to that tradition with striking throwback elements. His navy sport coat and gold pants are reminiscent of the Midshipmen's remarkable 1963 season.
The Design Elements
The Navy Sport coat - Exterior: Inspired by the unpublished November 1963 cover of LIFE Magazine.
- Modified gold shoulder stripes replicating elements from Navy's home uniform
- Traditional TV numbers are affixed to the right sleeve, with Carlson's number 74 stitched in a gold, traditional font
- The felt jacket undercollar is blue and gold checkerboard portraying the iconic end zones of Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium
- Authentic Brass Naval buttons
The Sport coat - Interior: In collaboration with the Navy Athletic Department and football program, a special silk coat lining has been designed.
- Ground features Navy's "Battle Print" drawn from Battle Memorials that appear at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium and also on Navy's game uniforms
- A repeating diagram of Navy's distinct 'triple option' adorns the "Battle Print" highlighted by blue and gold anchors representing Navy's offensive players
The Gold Pants - Completing the look are gold trousers.
"We are grateful to Athletic director Chet Gladchuck, associate athletic director Kris Whitacre Morgenthaler and the entire Navy Athletic Department for their design contributions to the jacket's interior and their enthusiastic support of this unique project." -Tom Barnett
"John's input and passion for football were an invaluable part of the design process." -Tom Barnett
About Tom Barnett
Founded 1990, Tom Barnett New York is a bespoke menswear designer and manufacturer based in Buffalo, NY servicing clientele in Western New York as well as Beverly Hills, New York City and Washington DC.