Chicago Blackhawks Top Reader Contest
(1) No purchase necessary to enter or win. A purchase will not increase a person's CHANCES of winning. ODDS OF WINNING WILL DEPEND ON THE TOTAL NUMBER OF ENTRIES RECEIVED. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
(2) ELIGIBILITY: The Chicago Blackhawks Top Reader Contest (the "Contest") is open only to legal residents of Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin (except where prohibited by law) who are students in grades 2 (2nd grade) through 6 (6th grade) at any public, private or charter school; provided that the following persons are not eligible to participate in the Contest: (a) the employees, officers, directors, partners, equity holders, shareholders, members and agents of Chicago Blackhawk Hockey Team, Inc. ("Chicago Blackhawks"), and their respective immediate family members (spouse, parents, legal guardians, in-laws, grandparents, siblings, children and grandchildren) and members of their same households (whether legally related or not), and (b) the employees, officers, directors, partners, equity holders, shareholders, members and agents of the National Hockey League (the "NHL"), any of its member teams, NHL Enterprises, L.P., NHL Enterprises Canada, L.P., NHL Enterprises B.V., NHL Interactive CyberEnterprises, LLC (the foregoing are collectively the "NHL Entities"), and each their respective immediate family members (spouse, parents, legal guardians, in-laws, grandparents, siblings, children and grandchildren) and members of their same households (whether legally related or not). The decisions of the Chicago Blackhawks, including but not limited to eligibility of participants and selection of the winners, are final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest. By participating in the Contest, each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these "Official Rules."
(3) CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest begins at 12:00 a.m. (CT) on September 8, 2020 and ends at 11:59 p.m. (CT) on May 29, 2021 ("Contest Period"). Chicago Blackhawks' computer is the official timekeeper of the Contest.
(4) HOW TO ENTER: Teachers of 2nd through 6th grade classrooms can sign up their classroom online at Chicagoblackhawks.com under the Community section. After the classroom is registered, participating students can log their reading for each month, and submit such logs to their teacher. Participating students must provide their teacher with an appropriate consent signed by a parent or legal guardian for their child to participate in the Contest. Teachers of registered classrooms will be responsible for obtaining appropriate consent from students' parent or legal guardian. On the last Monday of each month, teachers of registered classrooms will submit online their classroom's total hours read along with a top reader of the month (which is a person selected by the teacher in his or her sole discretion, and does not need to be the person who read the most hours of the month). The teacher should submit a brief statement of why the selected individual was the top reader for the month.
Once submitted, all entries become the exclusive property of the Chicago Blackhawks, and will not be acknowledged or returned. Proof of sending or submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by the Chicago Blackhawks. The Chicago Blackhawks are not responsible for: (a) electronic transmissions or entries that are lost, late, stolen, incomplete, illegible, damaged, garbled, destroyed, misdirected or not received by the Chicago Blackhawks for any reason; (b) any problems or technical malfunctions, errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, delays in operation or transmission, communication failures or human error that may occur in the transmission, receipt or processing of entries, or for destruction of or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries; (c) failed or unavailable hardware, network, software or telephone transmissions, damage to entrants' or any person's computer or device and/or its contents, or causes beyond Chicago Blackhawks' reasonable control that jeopardize the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest; (d) incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by entrants or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (e) any typographical or other error in any printing or advertising related to this Contest, in the administration or execution of the Contest, or in the announcement of the prize winners; or (f) cheating or fraud by any entrant. Late, incomplete, illegible or duplicate and non-original entries (as determined by Chicago Blackhawks in their sole discretion) will be disregarded.
By participating in the Contest, each participating student represents and warrants that his or her submitted reading logs are accurate. Chicago Blackhawks reserve the right to disqualify any person that they deem, in their sole discretion, to be in violation of the Official Rules or acting fraudulently in any Contest related manner.
(5) SELECTION OF WINNERS/CONTEST PROCEDURE: During the Contest period, Chicago Blackhawks will select five (5) individuals for each of the months of October, November, December, January, February, March, April and May (40 winners total). Chicago Blackhawks will select the winners from the pool of top readers submitted for that month, based upon the submitting teacher's statement of why that individual was a top reader. Chicago Blackhawks reserves the right to select less winners, or not to declare any winners if, in their sole discretion, an insufficient number of top readers are submitted. The selection of the winners shall be in the sole and absolute discretion of the Chicago Blackhawks. In addition to the foregoing monthly prizes, the classroom with the most pages read at the end of the Contest Period shall receive a prize.
(6) PRIZES: Each monthly winner shall each receive: Two (2) 300 level tickets to a Chicago Blackhawks home game (date of game and seat locations to be determined by Chicago Blackhawks in its sole discretion), a certificate signed by a current Chicago Blackhawks player (identity of the player to be determined by Chicago Blackhawks in its sole discretion), and recognition on the Chicago Blackhawks' website (Approximate Retail Value ("ARV") $250). Each teacher of each monthly winner's class will also receive two (2) 300 level tickets to a Chicago Blackhawks home game (date of game and seat locations to be determined by Chicago Blackhawks in its sole discretion ARV $60.48). The classroom with the most pages read at the end of the Contest Period shall receive a virtual classroom visit from a current Chicago Blackhawks player (identity of the player to be determined by Chicago Blackhawks in its sole discretion. ARV $5,000). No substitution, exchange or transfer of the prize is permitted.
All entrants who reach their reading goal (as set by such entrant's school or teacher in his/her/its sole discretion) shall receive a certificate of completion and an opportunity to receive one (1) complimentary ticket to a Chicago Blackhawks home game in the 2020-2021 regular season with the purchase of at least one (1) additional ticket to a Chicago Blackhawks home game in the 2020-2021 regular season (ARV $60.48). Complimentary ticket will be for the same game, and will be adjacent to, the purchased tickets. *Restrictions apply. The purchase of at least one additional ticket is required with each claimed complimentary student ticket. No exceptions. Tickets are available on a first come first served basis. Ticket availability is limited and subject to change. Tickets claimed and purchased through this offer may not be resold. Chicago Blackhawks reserve the right to restrict and cancel orders. Chicago Blackhawks are not responsible if teacher or school fails to notify Chicago Blackhawks about an entrant's completion of reading goals. Complete details will be provided on the ticket-ordering website. If you have any questions about the ticket component of the Contest please contact Kat Massolio at firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions about the non-ticket components of the Contest can be directed to Meghan Pollock at email@example.com.
(9) All prizes are non-transferable and non-assignable by winner to any other person, including relatives or friends, without the consent of the Chicago Blackhawks. Prizes may not be offered for sale or at auction. All prize details not specified in these Official Rules will be determined by the Chicago Blackhawks in its/their sole discretion. In the event a prize is unavailable, the Chicago Blackhawks reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Unless otherwise stated herein, all prizes are awarded "AS IS" and without warranty of any kind, express or implied (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose). All expenses not specifically mentioned herein as being included with the prizes, including but not limited to federal, state and local income taxes, travel to and from the United Center, are solely each winner's responsibility. Unclaimed prizes will be forfeited. The prizes are not redeemable for cash.
(10) By entering, each entrant agrees to release, hold harmless and indemnify Chicago Blackhawk Hockey Team, Inc., the United Center Joint Venture, Blackhawk Community Ice Rink, LLC, Chicago Blackhawks Foundation, the NHL Entities, and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, partners, equity holders, shareholders, members, employees, agents and representatives and all others associated with the manufacture, distribution, development and execution of this Contest and prizes (the "Released Parties") from and against any and all claims, liability, injury, expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees), damage, loss or causes of action (however named or described) that may occur, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from: (i) entrant's participation in the Contest; (ii) the delivery, misdelivery, receipt, acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prizes awarded in the Contest; (iii) the use of a winner's name, photograph and/or likeness as permitted herein, including, without limitation, claims based on publicity rights, defamation and/or invasion of privacy; (iv) any claim that the design submitted by entrant violates or infringes upon the rights of any third party, and/or (v) any travel or activity related to the receipt, use or misuse of the prizes, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death and/or property damage. Additionally, the Released Parties are not responsible for electronic communications that are undeliverable as a result of any form of active or passive filtering of any kind, or insufficient space in entrant's e-mail account to receive e-mail messages. Released Parties are not responsible or liable to any entrant or winner or any person claiming through such entrant or winner for failure to supply the prize or any part thereof or inability to continue the Contest, by reason of any act of God, any action, regulation, order or request by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action, regulations, order or request proves to be invalid), equipment failure, threatened terrorist acts, terrorist acts, kidnapping, air raid, blackout, act of public enemy, earthquake, war (declared or undeclared), fire, flood, epidemic, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute, lockout, work slowdown or strike (whether legal or illegal), labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, vandalism, or any other cause beyond the control of any Released Party. Those who do not follow all of the instructions, provide the required information in their entry form, or abide by these Official Rules or other instructions of the Chicago Blackhawks will be disqualified. The Chicago Blackhawks reserve the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual believed to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or found to be acting in violation of the Official Rules, or who is believed to be undermining or attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest.
(11) In consideration for being awarded a prize, each winner hereby agrees and consents, without further authorization, compensation or remuneration of any kind, to the use of such winner's name, photograph, biographical information and/or likeness in any and all advertising, promotions and other publicity conducted by the Chicago Blackhawks, the NHL, its member teams, and/or NHL Enterprises, and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates and designees. Each winner assumes all liability and risk for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this Contest or the receipt, use or misuse of any prize, including but not limited to travel related thereto. Each potential winner's parent or guardian will be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility, release of liability and publicity (collectively, the "Affidavit") within a specified time after first attempted notification. If any potential winner fails or refuses to sign and return such Affidavit within the required time period or if the prize or prize notification is returned as rejected, faulty or unclaimed, or returned as undeliverable to such potential winner, such winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected. If a winner is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules, or declines a prize for any reason, such winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected. Identity and eligibility of each winner is subject to the Chicago Blackhawks' verification. The Chicago Blackhawks are not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, damaged, intercepted, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to notify the winners.
(13) Contest is void outside of the Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin, and where prohibited by law.
If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, or is disrupted or corrupted, including, without limitation, by strikes, acts of war or terrorism, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical or system failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Chicago Blackhawks that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, or for any reason Chicago Blackhawks deem it necessary, Chicago Blackhawks reserve the right in their sole and absolute discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. In the event the Contest is terminated before the intended end date of the Contest period, winner(s) may be selected by Chicago Blackhawks from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received as of the time/date of termination.
Chicago Blackhawk Hockey Team, Inc.
1901 W. Madison St.
Chicago, IL 60612
(16) BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, ENTRANT AGREES THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (A) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED, WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (B) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS WILL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL THIRD-PARTY, OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED (IF ANY) NOT TO EXCEED FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS' FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; (C) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES NOT TO EXCEED FIFTY DOLLARS ($50.00), AND/OR ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED; (D) ENTRANTS' REMEDIES ARE LIMITED TO A CLAIM FOR MONEY DAMAGES (IF ANY) AND ENTRANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR EQUITABLE RELIEF; AND (E) ENTRANT IRREVOCABLY AGREES TO BRING ANY ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE CONTEST IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS, OR THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF ILLINOIS (IF JURISDICTIONAL PREREQUISITES ARE SATISFIED).
(17) WINNERS LIST: For the names of the Contest winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Chicago Blackhawks, Top Reader Contest, United Center, 1901 West Madison St., Chicago, IL 60612 after October 1, 2020 and before March 31, 2021.