CBJ Hockey To Go presented by Huntington is a free hockey education and interactive clinic offered to youth-based facilities and community organizations in Franklin and contiguous counties from September to May. Hockey To Go is designed for boys and girls ages 6 to 12 and aims to introduce the sport of hockey in a fun, safe and educational atmosphere.
Blue Jackets Fan Development staff will provide instruction and necessary equipment for kids; all a participant needs is a pair of sneakers. A maximum of 100 kids are permitted to attend a clinic, and there must be a minimum of 40 participants. Multiple clinics can be held in succession if needed.
A Hockey To Go clinic will consist of the following:
- Introduction: Blue Jackets staff will give an overview of the clinic, brief history of the Columbus Blue Jackets and character expectations such as teamwork.
- Stickhandling: Participants will be taught the basics of stickhandling through practice drills and a competitive obstacle course.
- Passing: Blue Jackets staff will teach the technique of passing, and participants will work together to practice their passing skills.
- Shooting: Participants will learn the mechanics behind a wrist shot and will have the opportunity to shoot on net.
- Q & A: As time allows, participants can ask Blue Jackets staff questions related to hockey and the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Before submitting the application for a Hockey To Go clinic, please verify that your organization meets the following criteria below:
- Requests are on a first come, first served basis. Please complete the form below.
- Volunteers: At least three (3) adult volunteers are needed to assist with the clinic.
- Number of participants: Only 100 kids are permitted to attend a single clinic, and there must be a minimum of 40 participants.
- Requests are scheduled 4-6 weeks prior to event. CBJ Hockey To Go is held between September and May. For summer requests, visit www.bluejackets.com/summertakeover.
- Blue Jackets player, coach, broadcaster and/or alumni appearances are not available through CBJ Hockey To Go.
- An appearance by Blue Jackets mascot Stinger is subject to availability.
- CBJ Hockey To Go does not involve regular appearances by the Columbus Blue Jackets staff, players, or coaches.
- If your clinic is cancelled due to inclement weather, a school conflict not known at the time of scheduling, or a Columbus Blue Jackets staffing conflict, the Blue Jackets will make every effort to reschedule your clinic for a later date.
- Each organization may apply once a year, and must be located in Franklin or contiguous counties
Sights From CBJ Hockey To Go