The Columbus Blue Jackets have launched a new initiative, CBJ Hockey To Go, to serve youth-based facilities and community organizations throughout central Ohio to remove barriers of entry to the game through introductory street hockey clinics - at no cost. CBJ Hockey To Go is designed for boys and girls ages 6 to 14 and aims to introduce the sport of hockey in a fun, safe and educational atmosphere.
Blue Jackets Fan Development staff will provide instruction and necessary equipment for kids; all a participant needs is a pair of sneakers. A maximum of 100 kids are permitted to attend a clinic, and there must be a minimum of 40 participants. Multiple clinics can be held in succession if needed.
A CBJ Hockey To Go clinic will consist of the following:
- Introduction: Blue Jackets staff will give an overview of the clinic, brief history of the Columbus Blue Jackets and character expectations such as teamwork.
- Stickhandling: Participants will be taught the basics of stickhandling through practice drills and a competitive obstacle course.
- Passing: Blue Jackets staff will teach the technique of passing, and participants will work together to practice their passing skills.
- Shooting: Participants will learn the mechanics behind a wrist shot and will have the opportunity to shoot on net.
- Q & A: As time allows, participants can ask Blue Jackets staff questions related to hockey and the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Before submitting the application for a CBJ Hockey To Go clinic, please verify that your organization meets the following criteria below: