poirier notebook

The Devils are practicing Thursday at the RWJBarnabas Health Hockey House inside Prudential Center. 

Stay tuned to the notebook for the latest info, updates, interviews, videos and more from the practice session!

Today's Content

Player Interview: Poirier
 

Rémi Poirier is all about putting in the work while he awaits an opportunity.

Practice Info

The Devils were missing defenseman Jonas Siegenthaler and center Jack Hughes at Thursday's practice. Siegenthaler suffered an injury Tuesday night against Utah. 

Johnathan Kovacevic slides next to Brenden Dillon with Declan Chisolm pairing with Dougie Hamilton. Chisholm returns to the left side and now all the D are properly aligned. 

Stefan Noesen fills in for Hughes.

Also, goaltender Remi Poirier, claimed on waivers at the beginning of the regular season, had his first practice with the team. 

As far as the missing players are concerned, Keefe provided the following on each player:

  • Keefe on Hughes: "Maintenance day for him. You'll see him on the ice tomorrow."
  • Keefe on Siegenthaler: "He's better than originally thought, which is good news. He's feeling a lot better today. He's going to try and skate tomorrow and see how that goes and make a decision from there. He's not ruled out for Saturday, but we'll see where he's at. But it's good news in the sense that we're not expecting it to be long-term at this point."
  • Keefe on Brown: "He's progressing. Today was a scheduled off day for him. He's been skating. I'm not expecting him with us tomorrow. He has his eye on next week for joining the team."

Third Man In

The Devils claimed goalie Remi Poirier on the opening roster deadline day. He hadn’t practiced with the team until today, though he has worked on his own and with some of the scratches/rehab players.

Poirier, 25, was a sixth-round pick by Dallas in 2020 and had previously spent his entire career with the Stars. He has yet to make his NHL debut but has started the bulk of the games for their American Hockey League affiliate.

He was expecting to return to the Texas Stars to start the season, until the Devils swooped in.

“I was with the Dallas organization for a couple years and made some great friends. I wasn’t expecting it,” he said. “I had some good seasons the past couple years. I don’t have a lot of expectations. It’s nice that I got picked up.

“It’s been great to be here with the team. I’m really grateful that the team picked me. Hopefully at some point I can get a look. Right now, I’m just working hard every day.”

Poirier went 27-19-6 with a 2.61 goals-against average and .912 save percent last season for Texas. He has a career 70-51-14 record with a 2.76 GAA and .908 save percentage in 70 games.

“Texas is a really good organization. I had really good players and great coaches,” he said of his success. “It allowed me the last four years to develop my game and hopefully get an NHL look at some point.”

Poirier (6-foot-3, 211 pounds) will be the first to admit that he’s not the most flexible goalie. But what he lacks in flexibility, he makes up for with vision and hockey IQ.

“My vision, seeing the play develop. I work really hard and will do anything to stop the puck,” he said. “I’m not the most flexible goalie. I have to get something my way in the games. I think my vision is my best (asset).”

Poirier is currently part of a three-man goalie rotation. But it’s been made clear to him that the club will focus on playing Nico Daws and Jake Allen. So, Poirier is just biding his time with his head down and waiting for his chance.

“It’s a day-by-day situation. They’ll give Daws and Jake the opportunity to do their (thing),” he said. “My part, just work hard every day and see how it goes. We don’t know right now, but we’ll see.

“I try to be the best teammate for those guys, push them to be better like they push me to be better. I’ll try to work on my game and be better.”

If Poirier were to get an NHL look, the Farnham, Quebec native is hoping to follow the footsteps of a fellow Quebecois goaltender.

“Marty Brodeur is one of the best goalies ever, if not the best,” he said. “It’d be a great occasion for me if I can wear that jersey and continue that French Canadian (connection). I wish I had ¼ of his career. I’m just hoping for the best and trying my best when I’m out there.”

Poirier speaks with the media following practice

He Said It

Keefe on the power play: "It's early. We actually liked, the second period was probably one of our better power plays that we've had in terms of structure and pace. We believe in that group. We want to give it some time. But when you aren't having success to the level you want it to, you're talking about many different things. As much as change is good and adjustments, you also need to show belief in your players and give them an opportunity for things to come together."

Keefe speaks with the media following practice

In Case You Missed It
 
READ: 
 

📓 10 TAKEAWAYS: First Look 

 
 
 
WATCH:
 

▶️ HIGHLIGHTS: Mammoth 5, Devils 3

 

🎙️ POST-GAME RAWS: Keefe | Evangelista | LHughes