Boqy-mon
The Devils lineup had a different look at Monday’s practice. Forward Jesper Boqvist was skating on the fourth line with Cody Glass and Amadeus Lombardi. Stefan Noesen held that position in the opening two games of the season. But with the Utah Mammoth coming to town Tuesday night – a team known for its speed and tempo – the coaching staff wanted to counter with more speed of its own.
“We wanted to give Noesen a couple games to get his legs under him and get going coming off the injury,” Keefe said. “Now’s a good time for that switch.
“We knew with Utah on the schedule here, we know it’s going to be a fast game. Speed is going to be really important. We had Boqy coming into this game regardless. It’s not in response to anything, but I’d like to see that line be better for sure.”
For Boqvist, 27, it’ll be his second “Devils debut” as he will appear in his first game for New Jersey since being reacquired by the club that drafted him and with which he broke into the league.
“Super exciting. If it’s my turn tomorrow, I’ll be ready,” he said after practice. “Probably some butterflies for sure. Just have to turn that into positive energy. Being around these guys for the past few weeks here has been unreal. So, it’s a lot of fun.”
Boqvist has made stops in Boston and Florida – collecting a Stanley Cup ring in 2025 – before his return. And in those three years, he’s grown as a player and as a man.
“I think the consistency part of it I’ve been working on,” Boqvist said. “I’ve played on some good teams that last few years and how they prepare and make sure they are consistent. That’s something I’ve been learning a lot. Hopefully, growing into it as well, the consistent part.”
Part of maturing in his mindset is understanding the ups and downs that come over the course of a season.
“You’ll have really good nights, really bad nights, but you have to be levelheaded all the time,” he said, “know what you have to do, trust yourself, trust your teammates, trust the system, trust your coaches. That’s probably the biggest part.”
That’s the approach he’s taken while waiting his turn to get a chance to play this season. Levelheaded and preparing.
“I like Boqy. I think he’s had a good camp. I’ve asked him to be patient. And he has been,” Keefe said. “He’s continued to work, an incredible attitude. He deserves the opportunity to go in. I think he can help us, especially given the opponent and the nature of his game.”
Boqvist has a lot of speed and skill – a big reason the Devils drafted him in the second round (36th overall) in 2017. His ability to drive play will be an asset to the fourth line – especially in the absence of Connor Brown.
“There’s a skillset that comes with the speed. He can transport the puck and he can make a play,” Keefe said. “Not having Brown, that’s a lot of what he can bring that helps that line and drives the line.”