Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Minnesota Wild

Aeros Win Streak Snapped

by Staff Writer / Minnesota Wild


Monarchs 2, Aeros 1 (OT)

Official Box Score

HOUSTON, Texas - Former Aero Marty Wilford scored on a power play 3:04 into overtime to ruin a 43-save performance by Josh Harding, as the Manchester Monarchs rallied for a 2-1 win over the Houston Aeros at Toyota Center. Barry Brust made 26 saves and Jeff Giuilano also scored for Manchester, which went 1-0-0-1 in its Texas Two Step with Houston and San Antonio.

Kirby Law scored a shorthanded goal 2:25 into the first period, but Houston was held scoreless after that. Harding was the story for much of the game, making 15 saves in the first period, 12 in the second and third, and four more in overtime before Wilford’s blast. Harding also stopped Connor James’ penalty shot.

The Aeros had their five-game win streak snapped. Houston plays host to Chicago on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m.

Houston’s Kurtis Foster was called for hooking 1:54 into overtime, and 70 seconds later, Wilford’s shot ended it. He took a pass at the left point from Noah Clarke and drove it high over Harding’s shoulder.

Manchester went 1-for-7 on the power play, while Houston was 0-for-6. The Aeros failed to score a power play goal for the first time this season.

The Monarchs dominated most of the first period, but ended it down 1-0. Manchester held a 15-4 shot advantage.

Manchester went on an early power play just 38 seconds in, and after two great chances, Houston got Law’s shorthanded tally.

First, Harding denied Brad Smyth twice, unmolested on the left doorstep. Seconds later, Foster made a nice play chipping the puck out from behind the net to Josh Olson at the blueline. Olson raced up the right wing, 2-on-1 with Law. He slid a perfect pass, and Law roofed the puck short side before Brust could recover for his sixth goal of the season at the 2:26 mark.

Harding made a pad save on James’ penalty shot at 6:21 of the first to keep Houston ahead.

Houston killed off a full two minutes of a 5-on-3 - including the first 1:54 of the second period - and nearly went up two goals at the midway point of the second.

With the Aeros on the power play, Erik Reitz slid a left-to-right pass to an open Peter Olvecky, who scored twice Friday. Brust quickly slid post-to-post to make the save.

On that same Houston power play, Manchester’s Petr Kanko had a 2-on-1 attempt sail well wide of the net.

Harding stopped James on three consecutive shots from the doorstep with 4:35 remaining in the second.

The Aeros appeared poised to extend the lead late in the second, with an extended 5-on-3. But miscommunication at center ice sprung Giuliano on a breakaway. Harding tried to poke check the puck away, but Giuliano scored his second goal with 39 seconds left.

Manchester enjoyed a 12-9 shot advantage in the third, and outshot Houston 5-2 in overtime and 45-27 in the game.

  • The Aeros scratched Ryan Stokes, Anders Myrvold, Adam Courchaine, Mark Rooneem and Joey Tetarenko.
  • Houston’s scoreless second period snapped a string of 14 straight regulation periods with a goal.
    Copyright © 2005 HOUSTON AEROS, All rights reserved.
    Visit us online at
View More