The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Shark Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (2-3-0-0, 4pts) chomped two of a possible four points in two games last week.
The Sharks finished their three game home stand (1-2-0-0) with a 4-1 loss to the Manchester Monarchs at the newly renovated DCU Center on Wednesday followed by their 1st road win of 2013-14 season with a 3-1 win over the Falcons in Springfield on Saturday.
Worcester will play four of their next five games on home ice, beginning with a pair of games this weekend (Friday vs. Bridgeport and Saturday vs. St. John’s).
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is forward Daniil Tarasov. The 22-year old native of Moscow, Russia, scored all four of the Sharks goals last week, including the clubs 1st hat trick since Feb 14, 2010 (a span of 264 games) on Saturday vs. the Falcons. Tarasov has a point in all four games he has played this season (5-2-7) and is tied for the AHL lead with two game winning goals.
Few things to know….
- The Worcester Sharks are currently in 5th place (2-3-0-0, 4pts) in the Atlantic Division and 14th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- The Worcester Sharks have only played five games (fewest in AHL) in the first 23 days of the AHL regular season schedule.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 13 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Stalock, Irwin, Vlasic, Nieto, McCarthy, and Hamilton)
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 1st place in the Pacific Division and 1st place in the Western Conference with 21 points and a 10-1-1 record.
- Veteran defenseman Rob Davison was named the 6th captain in Worcester sharks history before the game on Oct 12. Bracken Kearns and Jimmy Bonneau are the alternate captains.
- Bracken Kearns (2-7-9) has a point in all five games this season for Worcester and leads the team in points (9), assists (7), penalty minutes (24), and power play points (2-3-5).
- Daniil Tarasov has a point in all four games he has played this season (5-2-7) and has a three game goal scoring streak. Tarasov is tied for the AHL lead with two game winning goals.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Matt Nieto (Oct 8 vs. NYR) and Matt Pelech (Oct 10 at VAN) each have scored their first career NHL goals for the SJ Sharks.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Alex Stalock made his 1st NHL start on Oct 27 and made 38 saves in a 5-2 SJ Sharks win at Ottawa.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 542 wins in his career (16th season) and 2nd in games coached in the AHL with 1197.
- The Sharks play two games this week;
- Friday at 7:30pm – On Friday, kick off the weekend with a $2-$2-$2 Friday ($2 hot dogs, popcorn, and soda) as the Sharks host the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at 7:30pm. College student tickets are only $9 on Fridays with a valid student ID!
- Saturday at 7pm – On Saturday, the Sharks welcome the St. John’s IceCaps at 7pm. Celebrate Halloween and trick-or-treat in the concourse! Join us for the annual on-ice costume parade during the first intermission and score a FREE Sharks player schedule poster!
Top 3… Last Week!
- Daniil Tarasov scored three goals and fired a team high seven shots in the Sharks 3-1 win at Springfield on Saturday!
- Bracken Kearns extended his point streak to five games (2-7-9) with two assists in the Sharks 3-1 win at Springfield on Saturday!
- Harri Sateri made 17 saves and denied Jake Hansen on a penalty shot for his 1st win of the season in 3-1 win at Springfield on Saturday!
Last Week: (1-1-0-0) 2pts, 2gp
Wed. 10/23 L Manchester Monarchs 4 @ Worcester SHARKS 1
Sat. 10/26 W Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Springfield Falcons 1
Fri. 11/1 Bridgeport Sound Tigers @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:30pm
Sat. 11/2 St. John’s IceCaps @ Worcester SHARKS – 7pm
Rewind the Tape:
10.23.13 – Manchester 4 – Worcester 1 – L – DCU Center
Daniil Tarasov scored for the second game in a row for Worcester, but it wasn’t enough as the Worcester Sharks (1-3-0-0, 2pts) fell 4-1 to the Manchester Monarchs (5-0-1-2, 13pts) at the DCU Center on Wednesday night. Harri Sateri made 28 saves in goal while Bracken Kearns (2-5-7) extended his point streak to four games with an assist in the loss. Tyler Toffoli lead the way with three points (2-1-3) for Manchester and Martin Jones was sharp in net with 32 saves.
10.26.13 – Springfield 1 – Worcester 3 – W – MassMutual Center
Daniil Tarasov recorded the first Worcester Sharks hat trick in 263 games as the Sharks (2-3-0-0, 4pts) gave the Springfield Falcons (5-1-0-1, 11pts) their 1st regulation loss of the season at the MassMutual Center on Saturday night. Tarasov extended his point streak to four games (5-2-7) with three goals and Bracken Kearns extended his point streak to five games (2-7-9) with two assists. Harri Sateri made 17 saves in his 1st win of the season as the Sharks won their first road game of the season.
Season by the numbers...
Record: 2-3-0-0, 4 points – 5th in Atlantic
Win percentage: .400% – 24th in AHL
Home Record: 1-2-0-0 Away Record: 1-1-0-0
Attendance: 8,844 through three games this season – 2,948 average – 26th in AHL
Goals Scored: 12, 2.40 goals per game, 24th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 14, 2.80 goals against per game, 13th in AHL
Shots per game: 31.40 – 8th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 24.80 – 3rd in AHL
Score 1st: 1-1-0-0 when scoring first (.500%)
1 goal games: 1-2-0-0 in one goal games
PP: 18.5%, 13th in AHL (5-27)
PK: 90.9%, 2nd in AHL (2-22)
SHG – 0 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 2 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 28.40 penalty minutes per game, 1st in AHL
Fighting Majors: 10 – 6th in AHL
OT Games – 0 – (0-0 record in OT) – 1 of 3 teams yet to play an OT game
SO Games – 0 – (0-0 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 24 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
NHL debuts – 1 Worcester Sharks alumni making their NHL debuts this season
Top Worcester Sharks:
Goals Tarasov (5)
Game Winners Tarasov (2)
Assists Kearns (7)
Points Kearns (2-7-9)
Power play Points Kearns (2-3-5)
Shots Hayes (21)
PIM Kearns (24)
Fighting Pen. Bonneau (3)
Plus/Minus Doherty (+2)
Wins Grosenick and Sateri (1)
G.A.A. Grosenick (2.01)
Save % Grosenick (.938)
Socialize with the Worcester Sharks all year long! Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/WorcesterSharks, follow us on Twitter @WorcesterSharks, and download the Worcester Sharks App for free on your Droid or iPhone today!
All games can be heard live on 580AM and 94.9FM WTAG, as well as online through AHL Live, by following the link on the Sharks website at www.SharksAHL.com.
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com